· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mbuna tank

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaybee View Post
    That hybrid" 'might' actually be a female or sub-adult male johanni. Both genders start out yellowish and the males transition into horizonally-striped blue/black fish (the females remain yellowish).

Bumblebee juvie tend to have distinct dark vertical markings when smaller than this.
    I was hoping it to be a female. I have 3 Johanni I think all male. I have two of the yellow ones I was hoping were females. It's a 6ft tank with lots of hiding places but from what I have read if I have 5 Johanni I could be in trouble. I think 3 with no females I could still be in trouble. Looking to buy the rest of my stick for my tank next week. Have you any ideas of som3 really colourful ones. Thanks

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lukewd85 View Post
    I was hoping it to be a female. I have 3 Johanni I think all male. I have two of the yellow ones I was hoping were females. It's a 6ft tank with lots of hiding places but from what I have read if I have 5 Johanni I could be in trouble. I think 3 with no females I could still be in trouble. Looking to buy the rest of my stick for my tank next week. Have you any ideas of som3 really colourful ones. Thanks
    I downsized my collection of tanks, it was getting out of control. Lol I have a 110g but it's stocked with Haps and Peacocks. Is your intention to have them mate? If that's the case, you won't be able to have 3 male Johanni, the 3 males will fight over the females and prevent eachother from spawning. IME Johanni,will if needed take on anyone if needed. I couldn't keep mine with my Haps because even though my Ahli and Venustus could swallow him, he still wouldn't back down. He was constantly being bitten in the eye and the min it healed he was back at it again. Point being a tank set up to breed is much different than an all male tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

1 Not allowed!
    All mbuna will chase each other and fight, it's a matter of if they're just chasing, or killing! All mbuna will breed as long as you have a boy and a girl. They lean toward breeding they're own type, but if they don't have a choice they make due (hybrids). The elongated mbuna are more aggressive than the zebra, afra, labs, rusty and the other thicker bodied fish. I used to breed mbuna in the early 70's when they were worth lot of money.. If your trying to breed them, I found the best having all the same type of fish in one tank with ratios of 10 females and 3 males worked best. If you only have 1 male he'll get lazy and not breed as much. If your just looking for a show tank don't worry about the sex ratios that much. In a tank your size I would put in about 50 mbuna, and try too stay away from the elongated fish.(Johanni, socolofi, elongates).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, fifty large fish is a lot of fish....interesting.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Wow, fifty large fish is a lot of fish....interesting.
    The tank in the picture is 360 gallons, and has around 140 to 150 fish in it.