· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    The lakes to catch bass are about 4 hours away from here, and I don't know anyone who goes regularly...all the fishing close to me is SW
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    The lakes to catch bass are about 4 hours away from here, and I don't know anyone who goes regularly...all the fishing close to me is SW
    Yeah, hear ya, it usually takes a significant investment in a bass boat, trailer and vehicle to get'em to the water, storage, maintenance, insurance........now I remember why I don't own one. I usually fish the small lakes and ponds around here from the shore. But man it's fun when you tie into a 4 or 5 pounder.
    Last edited by Taurus; 02-27-2018 at 04:46 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Salt water fishing is a lot of fun too. You can also just fish from the shore or a pier so there's minimal gear/cost. I took a picture of my son's first "catch" (it wasn't a fish : ) and a picture of his first fish on his own rod. Those pics are going to be interesting to show him later.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfAndreaB View Post
    todd, thank you for letting me know about the endlers.
    Slaphppy, here are the params:
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0-.25
    Nitrate 20-40

I know the nitrates are extremely high which means I need to do another water change. I normally do those/add water once or twice a week. Unfortunately, I probably need to empty out the tank for a short period and completely clean it. I've been kind of reluctant to completely empty it though because I have a pond snail population that feeds my assassins.

Also, I took the best picture I could but they're so small and my phone camera quality isn't the best.Attachment 54959
    Do you vacuum your substrate when you do water changes? Do you clean your filter? If your tank isn't fully cycled, I'd leave the filter alone, for now. But you could have gunk in your substrate that may be affecting the trates.

I assume you use dechlorinator before adding any new water to your tank?

You wouldn't want to completely empty the tank -- you'll lose all of your beneficial bacteria by doing that. I never siphon out more than two-thirds of the water when I do a change. Always leave at least one-third old water in the there. Usually a little more. A complete emptying and refilling from scratch could also shock your fish. It would definitely destroy your cycling process.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Water itself holds very little nitrifying bacteria. Most of it is attached to the porous material in your filter, the flow makes the perfect medium for growing BB. It also attaches to substrate, decor and even aquarium walls, but most of it is on the ceramic media designed specifically for that purpose. That's why when you siphon the substrate, the BB still clings to the substrate and debris gets sucked out with the water. I recently noticed a nitrate issue in one of my tanks, I had to increase the amount of water I was changing out to keep nitrates where I want them. I am now doing 75% WCs in my 120g weekly instead of 40% (it's a large tank). I habitually change 50% in all my other smaller tanks minimum regardless whether I'm registering nitrates or where TDS is. Unless your tap parameters are a stark difference between your tank params, a large WC shouldn't affect your fish negatively, in fact, my fish often spawn after a WC. Just don't let the walls of the tank dry out, but water out and new water in was always very appreciated by all of my fish, even my 'senstive' EBRs.

Why do say you have to drain and clean your tank completely to deal with nitrates? I'm asking because I've been battling the same thing for a few months now. I've come up with ways to deal with it after researching.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 01-14-2019 at 08:34 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat