· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

Default edible size for calvus

0 Not allowed!
    I've just started my cichlid tank and an a little worried about a shipment that has already gone out. I bought a Congo black calvus, a juvenile at 2.5". All my others are juveniles ranging from 1.5" to 2.75". I didn't think there would be a problem, but I'm not sure. The other fish in the tank are:
    1 psuedotropheus Demasoni
    1 yellow lab (currently the smallest)
    1 Apache peacock
    1 Red zebra
    1 Labidochromis sp Mbamba
    1 zebra obliquid

right now, I think the only one that might be small enough for the congo to eat is the yellow lab, but at full growth, can the congo eat any of the above fish? It seems like they would all be kind of big based on their profile sizes, but I thought I'd ask.

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

2 Not allowed!
    The altolamprologus calvus will not pose a predatory threat to any full grown specimen of the species you have listed. Calvus are geared toward hunting fry.

A full grown male 5"-6" calvus and a small 1.5" juvie, probably won't bode well for the small fish. But calvus are very slow growing; any 1.5" lake malawi juvie that you currently have will reach/surpass 3.5" before the 2.5" calvus does.

Calvus and mbuna's are perhaps not the best mix; odds are that the lake malawi's will out-compete the calvus when it comes to food and aggression. Calvus are perhaps best kept with peaceful Lake Tanganyika species.

Speaking off food, some of the fish that you have listed have different dietary requirements: carnivores such as the aulonocara (the peacock) and altolamprologus calvus thrive on a high-protein diet...herbivorous mbuna's thrive on a low-protein veggie-based diet.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

2 Not allowed!
    The 2.5 might survive your tank for a while, the smaller ones I don't think will will survive more than a month. It's a totally different fish and should be rehomed, or you should start a Lake Tanganyika tank. You have the start of a Lake Malawi mbuna tank, stick with that type of fish and you'll have more success.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    All the fish are way to large for the Congo right now. When i saw how small he was, I was less worried. He is the newcomer and seems afraid of the others. The smallest in the tank right now is the electric yellow, and he will be almost as big as the congo, depending on the site.

I have several kinds of food. Flakes, live, spirulina, tropical mixes and mixes with fish ingredients in very small pellets etc. Before any of them came, I made sure to get what they all needed.

The congo is in there for fry cleanup. I couldn't always get males of a juvenile size, and although it is unlikely there will be breeding (there are no two fish or the same kind in the tank), you can never tell. I wasn't entirely happy doing it, but the thought of netting babies and having to kill them was worse. I'm sure there are some out there who never had fish before and don't learn who flush them, but that is irresponsible in my book. Depending on the growth rate, I may be able to rehome one fish, but not ten or twenty on an ongoing basis. (I have seen some fish pictures that are hybrids, so i guess cross breeding is possible).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

0 Not allowed!
    If you want a predatory fish get something like an electric blue, they're very hard on baby fish. Or if your tanks big enough get a venustus or livingstoni.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The calvus is very shy. He has taken a cave in the back of the tank and is cautious at feeding times.
    He is also active at night. My electric yellow can chase him, so I'm not worried about him being eaten. They all seem to take turns being the boss. There have been no fights or sparring. All the fish have different personalities. Fun to watch.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The calvus has an opening to a large, fake stump that opens into a cave. When he comes out to feed, the others just ignore him. I don't have any fish that will be small when they grow up. The demasoni is capable of defending himself. I got him as a natural population control fish. Since many of the fish came to me so young they were labeled sex indeterminent. Since I don't want babies, if some of those happen to be female, the calvus can take care of them. Until then, I need to feed him the best possible food.