· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many Amano?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default How many Amano?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey! I've seen a few other posts on other websites about amano shrimp and how many you should have, but I havent gotten a clear answer. I have a non-CO2 heavy planted 10 gallon tank with an 11 watt light, 5 platys, a gourami, and 2 apple snails. I ordered some Amano shrimp, and the minimum i could purchase is 12. I know I don't need 12 in the tank for sure, but how many should I keep? I want to make sure algae isnt a problem since I don't run CO2, but use fertilizers for my plants.

If I don't need 12, and need to sell some, is there anyone who would be interested in buying some amano shrimp? I will be happy to sell them once I receive them, as long as you cover shipping.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No platys in the gift shop, so have a cookie - Slaphppy7   Welcome to AC! - Silbar   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    You don’t need 12, a group of 4 would be sufficient, but 12 should be fine to. Just wanted to give you a heads up that gourami are notorious for eating shrimp and with the smaller tank size it’ll be harder for the shrimp to get away, so it may not go well.
    "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags it's tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."
    -Cheshire cat

"You know, aquariums are submarines for fish."
    -Kevin, Ghost Busters!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

How long has this tank been set up? How is it filtered? All male or all female platys? What kind of gourami?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I thought about that as well. The shrimp are about an inch in size, and I forgot to mention my gourami is a dwarf gourami lol. With all the plants, I think it should be okay. Do you suggest I move the gourami or just watch the tank?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    2 males and 3 females, my gourami is a dwarf gourami. I set it up about a week ago and added plants 4 days go. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No platys in the gift shop, so have a cookie - Slaphppy7   Welcome to AC! - Silbar   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    I’d suggest moving the gourami as there’s already a few stocking issue(IMO) and the gourami would likely love to have them as a snack.
    "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags it's tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."
    -Cheshire cat

"You know, aquariums are submarines for fish."
    -Kevin, Ghost Busters!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, thanks a bunch.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I keep gouramis with shrimp and have no issues; however, a 10G is really too small for a DG with all of those platys in there, you'll end up with a higher bioload than your filter may be able to handle.

Also, platys breed like mad, so you are going to have more fish in that tank than you bargained for, sooner rather than later.

I highly advise getting a liquid test kit, your tank is not "cycled" unless you did a fishless cycle.

Again, which filter is on the tank?...what heater?

A group of 5-6 amano shrimp would be fine, once the tank is cycled.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 02-21-2018 at 05:34 PM.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I did let the tank cycle for 2 days and 2 nights with nothing but substrate,
    and yeah I knew about the Platys and breeding. I was hoping the gourami would eat the fry, for I dont wanna be breeding any fish right now lol.

I tested the water before fish were put in, both ph and ammonia were perfect.

Just got the shrimp, and I'm letting them run around and clean up.
    The gourami charged a few times after them, but nothing but a small jerk to keep the shrimp awake lol.

My filter is a topfish 10-40 gallon adjustable filter, and my heater is a 15 watt(if i remember) to keep the water at 75-80 roughly(usually about 78 degrees), with a light to show when it's heating and not. I forget the brand name.
    Last edited by Caek; 02-21-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caek View Post
    I did let the tank cycle for 2 days and 2 nights with nothing but substrate
    That will not cycle a tank.

Have a look at this: https://aquariuminfo.org/cycling.html