· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Molting issues?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Molting issues?

0 Not allowed!
    So today going for lights out on my cull tank and had two deceased shrimp not quite full grown with failed molts laying on their side atop a sponge filter... Any ideas? The only changes in this tank was about 5 days ago I pulled the 13 CPD fry out. I also picked out a dead assassin this morning that was being devoured by pest snails (how ironic) which I thought was odd. I also have returned to twice weekly feeding since the fry are out of tank so they aren't getting leftovers.

Temp 72-74, Ph 8.2, kH 10, gH 15.... Tap does have a very high TDS according to the water report 455+ and its planted on a reduced EI fert regimen (2x weekly rather than 3x), I don't test my own TDS.

I didn't test after removing them today as it's been nuts with a new baby arriving today in the family. But Sunday during water change all parameters were totally normal (0,0,<20) I test before changing water not after. I don't think that assassin had time to foul water, and parameters should be even lower with the fry removed and three times daily feeding having stopped.

I know they kick off sometimes for unknown reasons but two failed molts in a day made me wonder what I might be missing... I had a death in my display tank a couple weeks back but it was almost entirely eaten by the time I saw it I've no idea if it was a failed molt, plus I'd just finished a Panacur treatment for planaria so I figured it was related to that.

Couple recent photos of the tank, though I doubt they will help maybe someone sees something in there that shouldn't be? I didn't think to photo corpses until it really started bugging me.

Also, there's evidence that I need to have a squirt bottle handy as I'm confident that the cat is sitting on this tank again.... Hair gobs three times in the past few days. Don't think that matters but I've only been doing shrimp a few months so I don't know... She cannot access this tank at all though it's tightly sealed, maybe/probably the least accessible tank in the house for her to touch water as in the beginning shrimp kept climbing out the airline tubing holes lol.

I could be over thinking this too as I've had about 3.5 hours sleep in the last 2.5 days... Shush me if that's the case :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Only thing (besides the cat) that has changed thay may be affecting params is you dosing ferts...I would stop dosing for now

One single dead assassin wouldn't be enough to foul the water, IMO
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Tank always had ferts, but I did change to the reduced EI in November. I'll dial it back to 1x a week like the real low light tanks though.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Why not invest in a TDS meter?...they're inexpensive and easy to use

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe lack of iodine in the water? Like maybe 1 drop of aquarium purpose iodine a week, no more than 2.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Maybe lack of iodine in the water? Like maybe 1 drop of aquarium purpose iodine a week, no more than 2.
    I've seen iodine for sulawesi, I wouldn't have thought for neos. I will look into it!

Slap I've just not quite sold myself on a TDS meter yet, they're inexpensive though you're right. I keep considering it and just haven't done it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Back to this.... I definitely have a shrimp issue, both tanks... One dead one dying (euthanized it) in the display this afternoon, cull tank is looking obviously thinner and I'm only seeing 2 full grown shrimp in the display. Plus that assassin death... I'm going to start small daily water changes on both, no ferts no excel nothing but a full dose of prime. Can't this afternoon as I'm literally walking out the door for work... Anyone have any ideas?

The one I euthanized was swimming on his side with his legs curled up like he was dead.... I'm still thinking something with molting as I'm not seeing as many corpses as I would think... Maybe I'm wrong. Ideas? I looked into iodine but it seems that I shouldn't need it for neos. Maybe I didn't see something important?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thinking about this.... I may be imagining the reduction of numbers... I also may be just noticing it for the first time... But I am confident I have something going on. I went ahead and blew my routine and squeaked into work at the last minute to do water changes.... 10% on the cull tank and 20% on the display tank (10 & 5 gallons respectively) so a gallon from each... I'll do it again in the morning after work for both and just do the twice daily gallon at a time changes, takes only a couple moments...

I wonder if it's one of those issues that's built up over time after having changed ferts in November? Since it's both tanks and I haven't culled in weeks because of planaria then new baby coming so nothings moved between tanks in a long time... I was originally concerned about the photo in my first post but the deaths today were a juvenile of Sakura grade quality with absolutely nothing apparently wrong and a semi adult fire red quality again with nothing wrong that I could see. No parasites, no bacteria, no fungal issues, completely living colored not pinkish or white neither looked to be at all discolored under the exoskeleton, neither being painted fire quality I was easily able to see complete normalcy in them.... I think that disturbs me the most.

Some toxicity from the ferts is my thoughts, lots and lots of water is my go to on this one unless someone has another idea? I'm completely open.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    did you add something for the planaria in both tanks?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    did you add something for the planaria in both tanks?
    Nope only had planaria in the display tank the cull tank didn't and doesn't currently have planaria.

I didn't share any equipment between tanks during planaria nor after... I have separate syphon and bucket for both as I actually usually WC them at the same time. The display syphon is stored in the bucket in the house, cull bucket is stored under the display bucket and cull syphon is stored in the garage next to my python.
    Last edited by sfsamm; 02-06-2018 at 02:40 AM.