· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first Barb of many. - Strider199   Have another barb ;-) - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!

I was able to load the videos to you tube not the greatest but you can get a glimpse of what the tank looks like next time I will have to record without the tv on the tank is caddy corner in my TV room

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Looking good
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Agree, looks nice, they all seem to be getting along just fine
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Guys,Yes with them getting along so well,and how active my tank has become as much as I hated bringing the BR's back it made it a little easier to digest.Its just very puzzling on how I was losing the BR's and BR's only,its A real head scratcher,The tigers seem to be doing well albeit its only A couple of weeks I've gone through my first WC without incident so things are looking good.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe the BR's were just weak stock...all of these fish were bought locally, correct?

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

1 Not allowed!
    My bet on the BRbarbs is that they were subjected to various hormones to get them to color up quicker...thus making them weak. Sort of the same situation many face with domestic bred GBRs.

I personally love Tiger barbs...they are active fiesty fish....congrats on getting some and Im glad theyve put a little spark in there for you.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    yes but the losing of the BR's had been going on for some time now for upwards of A year I would lose one here one there never at the same time and not always after water changes I am sure it was probably something in the water that I was not picking up on that could have been strictly effecting them,maybe among other factors with the BR's in the tank they always were hanging near the bottom of the tank where detrus collected they could have been super sensitive to the water conditions towards the back end of when my WC's needed to be done,though the readings were not too high this could have been effecting them.I am noticing that since adding the T Barbs my sand seems to be looking alot more clean where as with the BR's it always looked A bit Shingaty (messy) with the T barb's high activity level I think they may be kicking up more of the detrus letting the filter do A better job of cleaning the water this may not be 100% accurate this is just what I am observing,The T barbs seem to be more out and about where as the BR's were not quite as active.I can go round and round trying to decipher the culprit(s) of why I was losing the BR's I went through A few shipments of BR's from my LFS always losing one here one there so though A bad batch or weak stock could have been the culprit maybe once possibly even twice I think there may be an underlying stresser that I am not aware of.

though I kept my water temps steady at about 75-76 and ph at 7.2 this could have been a factor

sand seem A little more dirty than it is now with the T Barbs I maybe had to do more WC's

T barbs seem to be more active and out and about the lights don't seem to phase them though I have some plants maybe not enough was stressing the BR's out as they tended to stay near the bottom of the tank

though water quality seemed good the nitrate was A touch elevated most of the time even with WC's as it is coming out with about 20 ppm or so from my tap this maybe was effecting them or stressing them other than high phosphate this is the
    only slightly elevated condition which the phosphate I dont think would directly effect the fish

I can go through A few more what if's but right now its A mute point as the T Barbs are doing great.As long as everyone is doing good and I am not losing anyone that is the important thing.

MCHR I did not think of that about the hormone injections that could have been A possibility as well,as when colored up the BR's do look beautiful without being colored up they do have A somewhat washed out look at times.
    Last edited by magic8; 02-21-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

1 Not allowed!
    What water conditioner are you using? Could be your water conditioner just isnt strong enough to treat the amount of chlorine/chloramine your area puts in the water....id suggest Prime if you arent already using it as it is very concentrated and also detoxifies organics in the water supply.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Prime is what I am using,I am not going to worry too much about it as the Diamonds have been healthy right from the start losing only one since I've had them for well over A year now its just an underlying issue with keeping the BR's alive and healthy.It may not even be the water it can be envirmental stressors or physical stressors as well.EX:weak stock,hormone inj as MCHR mentioned,not enough shade in tank etc.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    You've mentioned deaths "right after a water change" a few times now...are you making sure to match the tap temp to the tank temp?