· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Joe, I really appreciate the vids you are providing of your breeding experiences at Imperial, as stated on another thread, it is really neat to get a "peek" into how professional fish farms raise fish for our tanks.

Thanks again, and keep them coming!...I find myself Googling the fish you showcase, to learn more about them.

Do you have a "guide" to go by, provided by your employ, to raise these fish?...or do you do your own personal research, as as employee?...maybe both?

For example, per Seriouslyfish.com:

"Substrate-spawning, larvophilous, biparental mouthbrooder that has been bred in aquaria.

There doesn’t appear to be any particular trigger for the spawning process with the main requirements being good diet and stringent maintenance regime involving relatively large weekly water changes.

Since accurate sexing is very difficult it’s best to begin with a group of young fish and allow pairs to form naturally.

A degree of patience is also required since it can be at least a year until they become sexually mature.

Courtship is relatively unobtrusive consisting of fin flaring, circling, gaping and head jerking displays, and when ready to spawn a pair will select a suitable site.

This is normally a piece of décor such as a flat rock or section of driftwood although it’s not unknown for the base of the aquarium to be used and once chosen the area is cleaned and defended against intruders.

Spawning occurs in typical substrate–spawning style with the female laying one or more rows of eggs before the male moves in to fertilise them, the process being repeated numerous times over a period of several hours.

Post-spawning the female stays close to the eggs, tending and defending them against intruders while the male is responsible for defence of the surrounding territory.

After around 72 hours the eggs hatch and fry immediately taken into the mouth of the female although on some occasions both parents may be involved from the start.

Once the fry are free swimming brood care/defence is shared although this varies depending on the male with some individuals becoming involved earlier and others not at all.

Some females therefore continue to hold all the fry or may even be driven away by the male to care for them alone.

In other cases both parents hold fry simultaneously or exchange the entire brood between one another on a regular basis, with such transfers tending to take place in a sheltered location such as a depression in the substrate.

When not brooding the adults will normally feed, and may even take some small morsels while holding fry.

The fry become free swimming at 8-11 days of age and the parents begin to release them to feed, initially with caution but for increasingly longer periods.

If danger is sensed the fry are shepherded back into the adults’ mouths, with rapid movement of the ventral fins appearing to act as a signal.

As time elapses and the fry grow they may only return to their parents’ mouths at night while the size of the territory becomes correspondingly larger.

They’re easily-fed, accepting good quality powdered dry foods, Artemia nauplii, microworm, etc., as soon as the free-swimming stage is reached.

If maintaining the adults in a community situation it’s recommended to remove brooding females as the fry become easy prey for other fishes, including conspecifics, once released.
    "
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Well I'm always doing research before setting up fish this particular fish was pretty fun I replicated the natural waters which is relatively soft black water with a slightly low to neutral pH and I performed weekly water changes with pure RO which was pretty cold mimicking the natural rains

I was told by the owner he wanted to set these up in the 180 acrylic tank so I set it all up took about a week or so to adjust the water params for the fish I added 7 fish all full grown and once pairs formed I worked my way down to just two pairs that took over each side of the tank and are laying eggs in tandem

Me and Mike (the owner) discuss tactics and approaches but for the most part I'm left to my own devices which I really didn't need much training ;)

I've always had the ability to research and apply knowledge probably due to the teaching style of my professor certainly taught the art of studying not memorize and take a test and forget mentality of public school systems

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Once again, dream job = beyond awesome...I'm so happy for you, well deserved
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Once again, dream job = beyond awesome...I'm so happy for you, well deserved
    and I dont take it for granted this is a opportunity of a lifetime for a fish keeper to have all the resources at my disposal for success I mean to be able to get a breeding pair of these Geo's is very pricey let along the tank space needed for breeding and those discus are like Paul said well over $500

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    ^^I was absolutely thinking the same thing viewing the rams. Agree 100% with everything, well done and thank you for sharing :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I keep thinking what kind of breeder/fish keeper will I be in 10 years of this day in day out :P

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Your vids encourage me to keep trying. I love the education on breeding. Your work is much appreciated :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I'm happy to share it keeps me excited! I always want to show off new fry or new spawns and what not... I'll post a video of some rainbow fry I've raised in the last month or so

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    So not a real nice video after I took this I adjusted the air going into the sponge filter since they are now pretty much fully free swimming will have to of course take another video tomorrow when they are all swimming in a group so save the guesses I guess until then but for now enjoy!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast