· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the forum.  Here's a fast-growing plant. - WhistlingBadger   

Default Fast growing plants.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm looking for some good plants that will grow decently fast. All the plants I've had so far have been really slow growers. Any suggestions?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    Egeria densa or anacharis, vallisneria, wisteria, cabomba caroliniana, crinum (onion plant), red tiger lotus and hornwort are some fast growing plants in harder water.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Egeria densa or anacharis, vallisneria, wisteria, cabomba caroliniana, crinum (onion plant), red tiger lotus and hornwort are some fast growing plants in harder water.
    do they need to be fertilized? I've heard mixed reviews on fertilizers that you add to the water, and I'm not a fan of digging up all my plants to put fertilizer tablets under them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh you don't dig them up to use gravel tabs. Just stuff one in below the substrate near the plant roots of heavy rooting plants. The tiger lotus and crinum would appreciate some extra nutrients at the root. The rest don't really need it unless you observe a deficiency. I use Osmotote tabs, size 00 gel caplets filled with Osmotote slow release fertilizer. I don't use water column ferts much myself, but the gravel supplements help a lot to keep plants healthy long term.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, S. Please tell us a little about your tank: Size, lighting, filtration, stocking, temperature, substrate type, how long it's been set up, and whether it's cycled. If you measure your water parameters (especially nitrate and hardness, assuming you're cycled) (and you really should, if you have the means), that would be good to know too. Kat's recommendations are good in general, but if we know a bit more, we can give you some more specific recommendations.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    Hi, S. Please tell us a little about your tank: Size, lighting, filtration, stocking, temperature, substrate type, how long it's been set up, and whether it's cycled. If you measure your water parameters (especially nitrate and hardness, assuming you're cycled) (and you really should, if you have the means), that would be good to know too. Kat's recommendations are good in general, but if we know a bit more, we can give you some more specific recommendations.
    Well, it's a 20gal, and I've had the light so long I'm not sure of the wattage. It's been cycled for around 6 months. I haven't tested my water for a while, I should probably do that soon. . . but the last time I did test the water was VERY hard. It was too many water changes ago for the nitrate level to count though. I am going to begin employing peat filtering soon so it's probably going to be medium soft and neutral/acidic ph once it comes into full effect. The nitrate levels I don't think are that high, as I've been doing quite a lot of water changes, and I already have some plants in the tank.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    and I didn't see the part of your message about stocking etc. so it has 3 German Blue Rams. The substrate is medium sized gravel, and the temp hovers around 81-82. The equipment I have owned longer than the tank has been set up (i've moved a few times recently) so I don't have the box anymore. I think the filter is a topfin 20???? I have some moneywort in the tank and one anubias congenisis, and I think they keep the nitrate level down decently well

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    In addition to the previous suggestions, there are lots of very fast-growing surface floaters as well. Frogbit, red root floater, Salvinia, and giant duckweed are all pretty and fast growing. Please keep in mind that the faster growing the plant, the more light it will need and the more prone it will be to nutrient deficiencies/imbalances. Plants on the surface or without roots (e.g. hornwort) may need soluble fertilizers instead of root tabs.

On an unrelated note, I'd recommend keeping an eye on those rams. There may be aggression issues down the road with three rams in a 20gal.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    OK. That helps a bit. How do the anubias and pennywort do? Does the anubias get covered with algae? Is the pennywort growing tall and lanky? Do they look healthy?

Tell me a bit more about your light. Is it fluorescent, incandescent, or LED? There should be a little label inside the shell that tells you the wattage, unless it has fallen off somewhere along the way.

I'm mostly going to reiterate what Kat told you. Your stocking is very small for a 20g, so you aren't going to have a lot of waste products in the water to feed your plants. A lot of fast growing plants (especially hornwort, which often doesn't root well in aquariums and prefers to just float around) take most of their nutrients from the water column, so they might not do well in such a lightly stocked tank. Depending on how big your gravel is, some rooted plants might not do to well, either, both because more delicate plants have trouble pushing roots through the gravel. Most plants can deal with normal-size aquarium gravel fine, though. Plain gravel (especially in such a lightly stocked tank) is devoid of nutrients, so you will definitely want to use root tabs, as Kat suggested.

The plants Kat suggested are the ones I would suggest, too. In my own experience, many of those do well in hard water. Hornwort and cabomba are water column feeders; vals and tiger lotus are heavy root feeders. All of them will need to be trimmed regularly.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The rams had serious aggression issues for about a week after I got them, but they've settled into an established pecking order now. One reason I want the plants is so the fish will have a place to hide if they are bullied too much.