· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the forum.  Here's a fast-growing plant. - WhistlingBadger   

Post German Blue Ram fry

0 Not allowed!
    Has anyone ever had experience successfully raising German Blue Ram fry? I'm attempting to breed my GBR's (once my fish pair off) and I want to know in advance the best way to raise their fry and/or stimulate them to spawn.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent S View Post
    Has anyone ever had experience successfully raising German Blue Ram fry? I'm attempting to breed my GBR's (once my fish pair off) and I want to know in advance the best way to raise their fry and/or stimulate them to spawn.
    Amazon Joe i belive had had success with gbr.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Hi there, I'll just give you a few pointers I've noticed breeding these fish until Amazon Joe pipes in.

I have raised electric blue rams. I found them a lot harder to breed than other cichlids I've bred. The eggs and fry are so tiny, it's hard to get them to eat, even live baby brine shrimp is too large for them to swallow. I used microworms at first for them, and powdered foods until they were big enough to eat BBS, but getting them to that point was a challenge for me.

Also the eggs are very prone to fungus. I eventually added Meth blue to hatch the eggs where I had the greatest hatch results.

I didn't find it difficult to get them to spawn, but soft water helps to prevent fungus growth and the pair seemed to breed much better in soft water (pH under 7). So Indian almond leaves and other botonicals are great to add. Not only do they help condition the water, but the babies feed on microorganisms that reside in the leaf piles.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Hi there, I'll just give you a few pointers I've noticed breeding these fish until Amazon Joe pipes in.

I have raised electric blue rams. I found them a lot harder to breed than other cichlids I've bred. The eggs and fry are so tiny, it's hard to get them to eat, even live baby brine shrimp is too large for them to swallow. I used microworms at first for them, and powdered foods until they were big enough to eat BBS, but getting them to that point was a challenge for me.

Also the eggs are very prone to fungus. I eventually added Meth blue to hatch the eggs where I had the greatest hatch results.

I didn't find it difficult to get them to spawn, but soft water helps to prevent fungus growth and the pair seemed to breed much better in soft water (pH under 7). So Indian almond leaves and other botonicals are great to add. Not only do they help condition the water, but the babies feed on microorganisms that reside in the leaf piles.
    Where do you find Meth blue? My LFS doesn't have it. Do you get it at pharmacies or something?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I ordered it from the US. It's not available where I live either. I think it was Ebay or Amazon.
    This is the brand I bought. Kordon's
    https://m.drsfostersmith.com/product...fm?pcatid=4822
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    BTW, I ended up raising them artificially (in a separate grow out tank). I only used to meth blue to hatch the eggs in a small container just big enough to hold the flat rock they spawn on and a gentle airstone stream to keep the water moving. I always used an airstone, although I've recently learned that meth blue aerates the water, so not sure how important it is to use it with meth blue. I remove the fry once they hatch by pouring the meth blue water over a fine net and transfer the wrigglers to a small cycled tank.
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I was also wondering, how can you tell if your cichlids have paired off?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    and also, do they prefer to spawn on/in a certain place?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent S View Post
    I was also wondering, how can you tell if your cichlids have paired off?
    Usually they will start cleaning a spawning site and will chase other fish away. When they are working together, they are pairing off. Some cichlids display courtship behaviour where they will test eachothers strength to raise babies by lip locking and pushing at eachother, but most often once you see them pecking at a spawning site, you can expect eggs in 24 hours or so.

and also, do they prefer to spawn on/in a certain place?
    If you're asking about GBR, all of my pairs lay their eggs on flat smooth rocks laid on the substrate. Makes for easy removal to hatch separately too.

I believe Amazon Joe's GBR pair spawn on the sand. He let's his pair raise the babies. You'd have to ask him about his success. I think he is on AC Facebook more often.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Just to make it clearer, I have no experience to say the eggs won't hatch in hardwater, just that soft acidic waters help prevent fungus. Before I used meth blue, I used a gentle airstone over the eggs and picked off fungus eggs daily with a wooden skewer. Fungus will kill the egg and spread if it is not removed from the viable eggs.
    -Kat