· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

Thanks for all responses so far!

My situation:
    - I've just set up a new 20G tank (1 week old now) and have planted several plants there. The tank is currently cycling and I've added Ammonia from Ace Hardware to get the cycling moving. At the same time, the plants are getting acclimatized after the 3 days they spent in USPS shipping.
    - I also have a new 90G tank that’s currently sitting empty
    - The 20G is only temporary housing for these plants. They will eventually move to the 90G
    - My focus is the 90G tank. The 20G will get cycled and will be used as a quarantine tank
    - I bought some large driftwood pieces from an LFS to aquascape the 90G. I've put them in a large plastic container that I fill with hot water every day (not boiling, but he max hotness that my faucet will produce and I add a half gallon or so of boiling water to it). These driftwood pieces are still leaching tannis, but it isn't bad anymore. However, these driftwood pieces still float and are not completely water logged yet. They have been soaking for 2 weeks now
    - My view has been to wait till the wood is water logged and then start hardscaping the 90G tank.
    - My view has been to wait for the plants to be healthy again after their recent transplant before moving them into 90G
    - My view has been to only start on the 90G tank after the driftwood has sunk and plants are ready, but I'd like to challenge this view … that’s where my proposed approach comes in.

My proposed approach:
    - I'd like to get started on cycling the 90G without having to wait longer
    - I am thinking of moving the driftwood to the 90G, weighing it down by some rocks, and filling the tank up with ONLY the driftwood in it, and starting to cycle the tank
    - I will use fishless cycling on the 90G as well
    - My assumption is that I need to give the plants at least 1 month to recover in the current 20 G tank and be ready for transplanting again to the 90G. My assumption is that the driftwood will sink in that time
    - In about a month, once the plants are ready, I plan on emptying the tank (assumption: the cycling won't be impacted because I won't do anything to the canister filter), adding the PFS substrate, adding back the driftwood, transplanting the plants, and refilling the tank and continuing the cycling process. I assume the time to empty the tank and doing the hardscaping will be about 2-4 hours.

My questions:
    1. Do you think this approach will work?
    2. Are my assumptions above correct?
    a. That the plants need about a month to recover and be ready for transplanting
    b. That the emptying to the tank and then taking 2-4 hours to hardscape before refilling again will not cause the cycling process to restart
    3. What other things should I be cautious about?

Thank you!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I would add the substrate and the driftwood to the 90g, using rocks if needed to hold the wood down. The health/recovery of the plants is dependent on which plants and how "damaged" you think they might be. Did you plant them in the 20g or just add them in their pots? I would just start adding them also to the 90g and let them recover there. Some plants - crypts in particular - do not like being moved often and may go through melting. Others may have been grown emersed and will need to transition to an immersed state and you might experience leaf loss/melting. New growth leaves might even look a bit different than the old growth in shape/color. Generally, however, these plants will recover nicely so don't panic too early and give them some time.

It wouldn't be necessary to completely drain the tank for planting. In fact, I find planting in a tank about half full much easier. If you are adding plants to the wood by using string or glue, that might be more easily done with the wood out of the tank.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    I would add the substrate and the driftwood to the 90g, using rocks if needed to hold the wood down. The health/recovery of the plants is dependent on which plants and how "damaged" you think they might be. Did you plant them in the 20g or just add them in their pots? I would just start adding them also to the 90g and let them recover there. Some plants - crypts in particular - do not like being moved often and may go through melting. Others may have been grown emersed and will need to transition to an immersed state and you might experience leaf loss/melting. New growth leaves might even look a bit different than the old growth in shape/color. Generally, however, these plants will recover nicely so don't panic too early and give them some time.

It wouldn't be necessary to completely drain the tank for planting. In fact, I find planting in a tank about half full much easier. If you are adding plants to the wood by using string or glue, that might be more easily done with the wood out of the tank.
    My driftwoods are large (2ft long x 10 inches high, and 15 inches long x 20 inches high) with large slate pieces attached to them. To tie anubias and java ferns, I will need to take the driftwood out of the tank - bacause it will be quite difficult to tie it on with the driftwood in the tank. And If I put BDBS substrate now and take the driftwood out later, I'll have to move all the substrate to the sides to place the driftwood back in there later, which I think will be hard to do, especially because the substrate will be wet and even more so if there is water in the tank. That's why I am hesistant to put the substrate in right now.*

As for the plants, I planted the bacopas and crypts in my 20 g and have tied the anubias and moss to temporary stuff to let them recover in the 20 g. They seem to be recovering well - I cab see new leaves in the bacopas and the moss has grown too. The progress for the rest is harder to assertain.

So anyway, that's why I am hesistant to put the substrate and plants in right now. So can I still start the cycling now or will it be wasted effort once I empty the tank out for 2-4 hours in about a month from now?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry the guppies didn't work out - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the 20L! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the goldfish... - Slaphppy7   For being a goldfish's hero. - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    You can start to cycle now. Once you are cycled just keep your filter media wet with tank water while you make your changes.

Heck, sometimes my media is out of the tank and in a bowl with tank water for 1 or 2 hours during my weekly water changes and filter maintenance. Especially lately while I battle the BBA. I have been soaking plants and decor. I was always rearranging and treating.

As long as I keep my media wet I have never disrupted my cycle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Once your tank is properly cycled, removing any water - even all of it - will not affect the cycle. So no worries there. In fact, at the end of the cycle you will have to do a large water change anyway to reduce the nitrates that have built up before adding fish. Most of the beneficial bacteria that is developing during the cycle will be growing on your filter media. If there is decor in the tank, some (but very little, insignificant) bacteria may be growing there.

Just trying to make this easier for you with fewer steps but really, do what you are most comfortable with. The slate attached to the driftwood should keep it from floating. Have you tried just filling the tank with water (no substrate) and placing the driftwood in there to see if it sinks? The substrate added on top of the slate will add further weight to keep it down if the slate isn't enough. But it should be. It may not need to be water logged outside of the tank, reducing the need for you to keep adding the hot and boiling water. You may still see tannins leaching but by the end of the cycle, these would most likely be gone. You can also add something like Purigen to your filter which aids in removing tannins if you don't want to wait them out.

Edit: Labagility was typing response just as I was. And good point - once cycled, don't let media dry out if you're removing water from tank whether for decorating or normal water changes.
    Last edited by SueD; 02-24-2018 at 05:28 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone! Super helpful as always! So it begins today!