· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Sorry, I'm out of milk...it went sour - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    With a tank as large as a 90 gallon, you have lots of options.

First, if you wish to start with artificial plants, don't use plastic plants. Use silk plants (they really aren't silk -- they're polyester). The better ones look completely life-like, at least from a short distance and even closer up. I once saw a tank that was entirely "planted" with silkies, and they looked so realistic, I wouldn't have known if the owner hadn't stated they were fake. He had arranged them so that they appeared completely natural and blended well.

There are some very easy live plants you can start with. Anubias, java ferns, floating hornwort or anacharis, Marimo moss balls. The Anubias and java ferns have rhizomes that must remain on or above the substrate, not buried in it. You can bury their roots (only), or tie them to rocks or driftwood with invisible fishing line. They will send roots into the substrate on their own.

The moss balls you simply drop into the tank and let them rest on the bottom. The floating plants make nice cover for your fish, and some fish might snack on them in between meals.

These plants tolerate lower light and generally need no outside fertilization. If you do wish to add ferts to get them off to a better start, Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive is a good choice.

As for an air pump and air stone -- if you have a good filter, the outflow from it will agitate the water enough to keep it oxygenated. If you like the look of bubbles, then you can augment your filter with an air stone, but combining that with the filter's outflow may result in a current that is too fast or too powerful for some fish.

I recommend the Aquaclear HOB filters, as they have a flow control valve that allows you to adjust the current to a minimum or maximum level, or somewhere in between. This valve works better on some individual units than on others, but they all work to some extent.

Aquaclears are easier to handle than canister filters and less subject to leaking. There are no cumbersome hoses to contend with, which I find is another plus. They produce a beautiful waterfall that sounds peaceful and most of these filters are completely silent. Some of the larger ones can be a little noisy, however -- it depends on the individual unit.

Hope this helps, and welcome to our community.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you everyone! The tank is being delivered tomorrow. I've ordered PFS from Ace, thats on the way to my nearby Ace as well. I'll keep live plants - would give me more things to take care of and may even get my wife interested as she really likes to take care of our vegetable garden!

I am now graduating to thinking about how I'll design my tank. With the plants, I'll need driftwood. Any considerations between Malaysian driftwood, spiderwood and Manzanita? Also, any good sources to buy them?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

1 Not allowed!
    Buy from a source where you can pick exactly the one you want rather than one where you simply choose the size (e.g. small medium or large). Good vendors will have unique numbers attached to every wood that they are selling along with a picture next to a measuring tape. Here's a good one: http://manzanita-driftwood.com/manzanita/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    A lot of the decision in your wood choice will be how it looks to you. Personally, I prefer Malaysian driftwood. Usually, it will sink right away without having to soak it and I've never had an issue with tannins leaching. But tannins are not a bad thing - no harm to fish - and it will eventually stop leaching. Some people even prefer a tannin tinted tank.

Several types of wood will take a while to become waterlogged and sink - spider wood is one in particular. Some people boil them if they have a pot large enough. I once had a piece of Mopani that I boiled 4-5 times a day, for 3-4 weeks to try to remove most of the tannins. It sank after a couple of times boiling, but the tannins took much longer to disappear. It's a nice looking wood, but not one I would try again.

Do you have a good local fish store (LFS) nearby other than one of the chain stores? I've found mine to be a great resource and it's great if you can see the wood. Depending on the size of the piece, shipping can be a little pricey.
    Last edited by SueD; 02-08-2018 at 07:25 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

0 Not allowed!
    I love the look of spiderwood and manzanita, I don't concern myself at all with tannins and actually prefer them myself, but the wood degrades quickly and breaks off ime, so I'd look for thicker pieces maybe if you go that route. I bought some manzanita pieces 3/4 years ago and I lost the tall branches sticking up for height already.

I also love Mopani, it's nice and heavy with such an intesting texture. But like Sue says, it releases a ton of tannins, especially at the start, so if this is something you want to avoid, don't go with mopani.

Malaysian is easy, and some nice shapes can be found.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    So my tank is delayed by a week. The shop I got it from got the tank and the stand, but the stand's top front corners are damaged. So I've asked them to get it changed and that takes another week

However, in that time, I've bought some plants online and they arrive Tue or Wed this week. To home them, I started up an empty 20g tank I had lying around. I put some pool filter sand substrate and created an area with black diamond blasting sand in the middle. However, I have 2 problems:
    (A) Lots of particles of the BDBS are floating around. Several are at the top of the water line, accumulating at the edges. Not sure why this is happening... Have you faced this? How do I make this not happen when I setup the big tank?
    (B) the black sand and white sand seems to have already stated to mix. When I had added water, I started off quite cautiously with pouring water onto a plate, but as volume started to build, I got a little overconfident. Oh well, lesson learned! But question for any of you who have both black and white sand in the same tank: how do you keep these two separate?

Now back to my 90G tank (thats not here yet!): Thanks to advice on this forum, I am going to do a fishless cycle, even if it takes longer. I'll use the HOB filter from my 10G goldfish tank and add that to my 90 setup which will also have an eheim 2217. The 10g HOB will look puny and funny, but I'll plan on taking it off in a month or so, assuming that I'll still need another month to finish the cycling. I am willing to be patient! I've never cycled a tank before, and so I am also trying this out on the 20 g with black and white sand. Hope to learn something valuable from it for my 90g tank.

Thanks again for all the help and advice!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyLight View Post
    So my tank is delayed by a week. The shop I got it from got the tank and the stand, but the stand's top front corners are damaged. So I've asked them to get it changed and that takes another week

However, in that time, I've bought some plants online and they arrive Tue or Wed this week. To home them, I started up an empty 20g tank I had lying around. I put some pool filter sand substrate and created an area with black diamond blasting sand in the middle. However, I have 2 problems:
    (A) Lots of particles of the BDBS are floating around. Several are at the top of the water line, accumulating at the edges. Not sure why this is happening... Have you faced this? How do I make this not happen when I setup the big tank?
    (B) the black sand and white sand seems to have already stated to mix. When I had added water, I started off quite cautiously with pouring water onto a plate, but as volume started to build, I got a little overconfident. Oh well, lesson learned! But question for any of you who have both black and white sand in the same tank: how do you keep these two separate?

Now back to my 90G tank (thats not here yet!): Thanks to advice on this forum, I am going to do a fishless cycle, even if it takes longer. I'll use the HOB filter from my 10G goldfish tank and add that to my 90 setup which will also have an eheim 2217. The 10g HOB will look puny and funny, but I'll plan on taking it off in a month or so, assuming that I'll still need another month to finish the cycling. I am willing to be patient! I've never cycled a tank before, and so I am also trying this out on the 20 g with black and white sand. Hope to learn something valuable from it for my 90g tank.

Thanks again for all the help and advice!
    You have to spend a lot of time rinsing BDS, and draining, which will remove the floaters. It is very light sand.

You need to put a divider to prevent the white and black sand from mixing. It can be simply river rock or bendable plastic sheets siliconed to the bottom of the tank.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfis...-55gal.268588/

Why not just add the media from the 10g directly to the 2217? There's no guarantee that the bacteria in the HOB will move directly into the eheim 2217.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 02-12-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    You have to spend a lot of time rinsing BDS, and draining, which will remove the floaters. It is very light sand.

You need to put a divider to prevent the white and black sand from mixing. It can be simply river rock or bendable plastic sheets siliconed to the bottom of the tank.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfis...-55gal.268588/

Why not just add the media from the 10g directly to the 2217? There's no guarantee that the bacteria in the HOB will move directly into the eheim 2217.
    WOW! What a beautiful tank and what a great idea!

I'd like to try the bendable plastic sheets - any idea what I should look for and where (home depot?) I did search home depot's website and came up with some acrylic sheets, but its really unclear if I can cut them and how much they'll bend ...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyLight View Post
    WOW! What a beautiful tank and what a great idea!

I'd like to try the bendable plastic sheets - any idea what I should look for and where (home depot?) I did search home depot's website and came up with some acrylic sheets, but its really unclear if I can cut them and how much they'll bend ...
    Acrylic will bend with right heat and mold. There is a bunch of youtube videos on cutting acrylic sheet with a cutter and bending acrylic with a hot air gun on in the oven at low temperatures.

I would cut the length of acrylic that I would need, create an L-shape so that the gravel on one side and hold it down, and then bending to S-curve shape or something like that.

You could try splitting or using vinyl tubing and see if that will work.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for giving Sake a chance. - gronlaura   because you took in such a special needs cat. love! - bethyMT   Happy Birthday! - KingFisher   Happy Birthday Jen. - Strider199   Merry Christmas - Cliff   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    Ace Hardware PFS is my fav....its a bit larger grain that most other PFS out there. Black Diamond sand is probably my 2nd fav in the 20/40 grit...last bag I got has some redish brown flecks in it...which most hate but I really like it.

Now for goldfish....they do wonderful in a planted tank! Especially an easy to grow planted scape of crypts, moss, fern, anubias, apons, vals. Keep the golds well fed and theyd be fine in there! Plus they do well with other fish so you arent just limited to them. You can keep some other fish which are tolerant of temps in the lower 70s such as corydoras, platies, danios, minnows, weather loaches, etc etc etc.

I will say that IMO a single 2217 is not enough flow or filtration for a 90G...Id def consider pairing it with a large HOB that pushes around 400gph.
    3x75 gallons|2x55 gallons|3x50 gallons|2x40 gallons