· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I honestly would rehome your goldfish if you wish to graduate to a planted tank. I recommend starting out with plants, the hardscape you intend to use and fishless cycling. Here's a link to the sticky on fishless cycling in case you haven't seen it already :)
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Ok, I am sold on fishless cycling!

I assume I can plant the plants on day 1? Or do I need to first cycle the aquarium and only then plant them?

Any advice on brand of eco substrate to get?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first puffer fish! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the cycle! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Shrimpies sure are fun to keep - Slaphppy7   For luck with the betta situation - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Your plants will actually help your cycle along, so you can stick a couple in as soon as you add your water to your tank and add more plants gradually over time!
    Your substrate will depend on the fish you end up choosing. If you wanna keep coridoras, loaches, or any bottom feeder with barbels I advise getting pool filter sand instead of gravel. If you want fish that like harder water you might need crushed coral substrate. If your fish like softer, more acidic water you would need peat or leaf litter.

You can add a layer of plant substrate under that if you want to, but I will let someone else advise you on the brand for that.
    If you only get Anubia and java fern that won't be rooted in your substrate you won't even need plant substrate at all because they will be attached to your logs/other decorations.

But as I said, substrate will depend heavily on your fish choices. Some people even choose not to have any substrate at all!
    Last edited by bubblaroo; 02-03-2018 at 11:45 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    As said above, by all means start adding decor/plants while the tank cycles. It gives you something to do while patiently waiting as the cycle progresses and something nice to look at, even though there are no fish yet. You can position driftwood, add some plants and move things around if needed after a few days of looking at what you're creating, until you find just the right look that's pleasing to you.

For substrate, I've always used Caribsea products. I have Eco Complete (comes wet) in a couple of tanks, Instant Aquarium (also comes wet) in a couple of others, and their dry Tahitian Moon Sand in one. But these are a little pricey when you have a larger tank. Many people have great success with just pool filter sand which is somewhere around $8-10 for 50 lbs. It's inert and would be safe for all your fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC Skylight, you've gotten some great advice so far, keep your questions coming, you'll get great help here
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    As said above, by all means start adding decor/plants while the tank cycles. It gives you something to do while patiently waiting as the cycle progresses and something nice to look at, even though there are no fish yet. You can position driftwood, add some plants and move things around if needed after a few days of looking at what you're creating, until you find just the right look that's pleasing to you.

For substrate, I've always used Caribsea products. I have Eco Complete (comes wet) in a couple of tanks, Instant Aquarium (also comes wet) in a couple of others, and their dry Tahitian Moon Sand in one. But these are a little pricey when you have a larger tank. Many people have great success with just pool filter sand which is somewhere around $8-10 for 50 lbs. It's inert and would be safe for all your fish.
    Sue --- you are making my day!!
    Just researched eco-complete. Boy, its gonna be expensive to get a 2-inch layer in a 90g tank! I heard I can also use dirt but I fear that that may get messy. Given that the eco-complete is inert as is pool filter sand, I assume I could use the sand as substrate? ... will it work as well as eco complete? Anyone here who is experienced using the sand and can talk about pros/cons?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I have the pool filter sand in two of my tanks, and like it alot...inexpensive, looks great, no rinsing needed, and plants grow well in it

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete...5350/202314677

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Red face

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I have the pool filter sand in two of my tanks, and like it alot...inexpensive, looks great, no rinsing needed, and plants grow well in it

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete...5350/202314677
    Where is the "I am dancing" emoticon when you need it?

What fertilizer do you use for your sand? How often do you use it? I assume its harmless to fish, but is there any "watch outs" when using sand + fertilizer?

Also, in my current goldfish tank with febbles substrate, I vacuum the pebbles easily. I assume with the small sand particles, vacuuming wont be an option. Is the the right assumption? If so, how do you clean the sand?

Thanks again and again - the last few posts just saved me $150 minimum! :-)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I don't use ferts at all, just fish poop, lol

With sand, you will hover your vacuum a few inches above the sand and "swish" it around a bit, the detritus will be vacuumed up, the sand will stay put

Here's a pic of my 40 gallon with Quickrete sand substrate, I do keep easy-to-grow plants, nothing fancy

tank 2A.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    You're so modest Slap! Look at that tank! Slap has an insane amazing fish load too.

For heavy rooting plants, I find gravel root tabs help a lot. Heavy rooting plants like sword plants or even crypts. I started using DIY tabs which are size 00 gel caplets filled with Osmotote. Cheap cheap cheap!

But as a whole, I don't bother with ferts either.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I don't use ferts much anymore either, but my tanks have been going for years. I'd go easy with ferts in the beginning until you start to see some growth. A couple of root tabs for plants in the substrate would be OK, but no need to go crazy and maybe a little something for the water column plants like anubias/java fern if you decide on those. Too much fertilization without actual plant growth may encourage algae to out compete the plants.

Some products you can look at to start are Seachem's Flourish, Flourish Excel (not a fert, but a CO2 substitute), and Flourish root tabs. There's also an all-in-one product I haven't tried but which is easy to use and seems to have good reviews called Thrive - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DSFMNHQ...ustomerReviews.

And this all-in one I do have - https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collect...nt=17073627844 - which is also easy to use. I get lazy and haven't really kept up with regular fertilizing but my tanks are so established now that they don't really seem to need it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast