· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC - Slaphppy7   

Default Vampire Pleco L-029

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys and gals, I'm new to the hobby and this site. Was just curious as too who else may have one of these species and how they act for you. I just purchased mine, been in my 75g tank for only 3 days so far. He or she is around 2 inches and I haven't seen him since he was placed in the tank, lol. I have a daughter so the tank is not all natural as I would like but I do have multiple live plants. As for hideouts we have a large resin cave that is made to look like a reef on one side and a large sunkin sub that he has taken to and hides in. So does anyone know does this species hide the majority of the time? I'm just concerned because it's hard to check him for sickness and if he is eating enough. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

I have found that generally speaking, male plecos tend to hide more than females, but not always
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Welcome to the AC.

I have found that generally speaking, male plecos tend to hide more than females, but not always
    Ok great so I would imagine that's a sign it very well could be a male. Thanks for the response and welcoming, seems to be aa nice site with lots of information.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    It's not for sure a fact yet, let's let him/her grow out and see...could just be overly shy in a new tank, for now

Try some fresh veggies tonight and dim the lights, see if it comes out for you

The AC is the best fishkeeping site out there, in my humble opinion...glad to have you aboard

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It's not for sure a fact yet, let's let him/her grow out and see...could just be overly shy in a new tank, for now

Try some fresh veggies tonight and dim the lights, see if it comes out for you

The AC is the best fishkeeping site out there, in my humble opinion...glad to have you aboard
    That's another question that I have. I have learned that they enjoy cucumbers not sure what else but do I need to prepare those in anyway or just cut up and throw one in?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome and I hope you enjoy the site. Regardless of the sex, it'll take a while for the pleco to settle in.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bdurbin1230 View Post
    That's another question that I have. I have learned that they enjoy cucumbers not sure what else but do I need to prepare those in anyway or just cut up and throw one in?
    Cucumbers are OK, but they're mostly water, not as nutritious as stuff like zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans

Some people blanch their veggies a bit before feeding, some just feed raw...I'll steam some for myself, and take some out before they are fully done to feed my fish

I like to use these, easy to place the veggies in the tank, then retrieve any uneaten bits with the handle sticking out

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-E...86&athena=true

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Cucumbers are OK, but they're mostly water, not as nutritious as stuff like zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans
    Yeah, but cucumbers taste better. Ask Lauren if you don't believe me ....oh, we're talking about the fish here..

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, very funny Larry

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    LOL, very funny Larry
    I try, but sometimes...well...