· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default DIY tank stand - is it safe?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all, I am working on setting up a 55 gallon tank. I tried finding a tank stand but was disappointed by the quality and quantity of the stands available at my LFS. I have a family member who has built strong furniture so I am currently trying my hand at building one.
    Frame is built out of 2x4s, two side by side for each of the legs, one running along each side at top and bottom and a few running across. Top is made of plywood. I held a level on the top of the plywood and it looks like the middle is a bit higher than the left and right edges, about 1/4". I am planning on putting one solid piece of pink foam board under the entire tank (48x13") but not sure if this will solve the issue. The aquarium is glass and has a plastic frame.
    Is this an ok set up? Will the pink foam help or should something else be done? Should I add additional padding on the left and right to even it out or try sanding down the middle of the surface?
    Also, if anyone is wondering about the holes on top, I have cats so instead of running the filter through and opening in the back, which cats can climb through, I'm making the stand deeper than needed and running the filter through the holes. Please let me know if there is an issue here as well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Looks nice and solid.

Regarding the bulge in the middle, have you considered trying to sand it down with a belt sander or planer? I don't have any personal experience using foam but I know some others here have used it. I'm just not sure if it will help against a bulge that big. The others should chime in shortly with some better responses.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Nice looking stand, but 1/4" could be a lot when your taking about 100s of gallons of substrate and water pushing down in that slight hump. Not sure foam will balance that out. Maybe sand or shim it level? Also when you clean the tubes for the filters-will the holes be big enough to make maintenance relatively hassle free?
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Nice looking stand, but 1/4" could be a lot when your taking about 100s of gallons of substrate and water pushing down in that slight hump. Not sure foam will balance that out. Maybe sand or shim it level? Also when you clean the tubes for the filters-will the holes be big enough to make maintenance relatively hassle free?
    Thanks! yeah I was thinking I may have to sand it down a bit but wasn't sure. I believe it was about 1/4" but I can get a more accurate measurement tonight and post a photo.
    So sanding down to reduce the hump and adding a 48x13" sheet of pink foam board should work? Depending of course on how much I can reduce the hump in the middle first?
    And no, the holes in the back are a good size, should be no harder than running tubes through the back panel. I have a cat that has a history of exploring cupboards once she found out that one was used to store soft blankets in the summer. So to keep her safe, I'm covering the back and adding magnets to the doors.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Good point from Nat.

Also, I just noticed something else... Are the stand dimensions the same as the tank? If the stand is only 13" wide, the tank will be covering the holes you drilled out for the filter hoses.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Good point from Nat.

Also, I just noticed something else... Are the stand dimensions the same as the tank? If the stand is only 13" wide, the tank will be covering the holes you drilled out for the filter hoses.
    The stand is deeper so the tank will not cover the holes. The tank is about 13" deep but the stand is 18". Tank won't be pushed completely to front so it being front heavy shouldn't be an issue, but just in case, the stand will have some small hooks to fix it to wall.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CometD View Post
    Thanks! yeah I was thinking I may have to sand it down a bit but wasn't sure. I believe it was about 1/4" but I can get a more accurate measurement tonight and post a photo.
    So sanding down to reduce the hump and adding a 48x13" sheet of pink foam board should work? Depending of course on how much I can reduce the hump in the middle first?
    And no, the holes in the back are a good size, should be no harder than running tubes through the back panel. I have a cat that has a history of exploring cupboards once she found out that one was used to store soft blankets in the summer. So to keep her safe, I'm covering the back and adding magnets to the doors.
    Sounds like a good plan. If you get the top level you can omit the foam.

I have 3 cats and 2 are definitely cabinet explorers. The don't say no to open closets, pantries, and outside doors either

The whole curiosity killed the cat is beyond them!
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Ahhh ya got me! - Trillianne   Restocking your pond - Trillianne   Rep Message:  Thanks for the giggle!  Am still snickering. - Rhaethe   A little less toxic! Lol - Kayfish   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, that's probably going to hold up just fine. Did you use glue and screw? The only problem that might arise is the side to side and I think as long as you used both you are just fine. Even without it you are probably fine.

I've used foam on everything from 30g to 125g without any issues. Also gone without on commercial, plywood, and 2x4 stands without issue. Level is good, but you want to avoid pressure points on the bottom, so it has to be flush all the way around. If it were me, and I wasn't 95% sure it was flush, I'd use a thin layer of foam to be safe. A thin layer won't hurt anything.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Sounds like a good plan. If you get the top level you can omit the foam.

I have 3 cats and 2 are definitely cabinet explorers. The don't say no to open closets, pantries, and outside doors either

The whole curiosity killed the cat is beyond them!
    I know exactly what you mean. I actually have 2 cats and a dog. I have spent just as much time considering their safety with this stand as I have the safety of the fish. If it's possible for them to do it, they will.
    Thanks so much everyone. I'll work on the top some more tonight and post pics of the progress.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrup View Post
    Wow, that's probably going to hold up just fine. Did you use glue and screw? The only problem that might arise is the side to side and I think as long as you used both you are just fine. Even without it you are probably fine.

I've used foam on everything from 30g to 125g without any issues. Also gone without on commercial, plywood, and 2x4 stands without issue. Level is good, but you want to avoid pressure points on the bottom, so it has to be flush all the way around. If it were me, and I wasn't 95% sure it was flush, I'd use a thin layer of foam to be safe. A thin layer won't hurt anything.
    Yes, every piece of the frame is held with wood glue and screws. Frames around the outside panels, not pictured here yet, are held together with wood pegs and wood glue. The panels were then attached with nails and, again, wood glue lol.