· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I sanded down the middle some more and got the warp down to about 1/8". For ref, the lip there is exactly 1/4". I then detached the top board and shimmed up the one end in three places that was a bit lower and got it just about perfect all the way across. Less than 1/8" warp. This pic shows before I shimmed up the one edge so warp is less than that now.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Keep in mind, it is the edge of the stand that needs support the tank. You don't even need a top plywood piece. The wooden frame and bottom trim of the tank need to match, and fit together.

The tank's entire weight is supported by the tank's bottom trim, not the bottom glass. The bottom glass is recessed above the trim, and should not touch any surface under the tank.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Keep in mind, it is the edge of the stand that needs support the tank. You don't even need a top plywood piece. The wooden frame and bottom trim of the tank need to match, and fit together.

The tank's entire weight is supported by the tank's bottom trim, not the bottom glass. The bottom glass is recessed above the trim, and should not touch any surface under the tank.
    Yep! After sanding and raising the one edge, I placed a level near the edges and seems pretty flat. I still wouldn't go without the sheet of foam but no where near as warped as it was.
    The lip you see there isn't what the tank will rest on, the tank will rest inside this area.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Managed to get a new pic next to a ruler. This is the worst of the warp now.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    If it were me, I'd get rid of the plywood top, at least the part that will be directly beneath the tank

Then you could clearly see the bottom tank trim, and where it needs to be on the framework

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    If it were me, I'd get rid of the plywood top, at least the part that will be directly beneath the tank

Then you could clearly see the bottom tank trim, and where it needs to be on the framework
    Well the bottom tank trim will be resting on the plywood. Under that are the 2x4 supports. Do you mean create a hole under where the glass panel will be?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The top frame of the 2 X 4 supports is where the bottom trim of the tank needs to sit.

For instance, for my 40B DIY stand, I built the stand for the exact dimensions of the tank...36" x 18"...and never used a top piece of plywood, it is unnecessary

Again, the bottom trim of the tank supports the entire weight of it, so you want the framework to match that dimension...with a plywood top, you don't know if the perimeter of the tank rests directly upon the framework if you can't see it

However, that stand you have built will be quite sturdy, especially with the cabinet walls, so all may be fine

Google "DIY aquarium stands" for more info

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ah ok I see what you mean. Now that you mention it, the stand is deeper than the tank so the back will be off but front and sides do rest directly on the support. Maybe need to look into adding another support right across this back line where tank will rest? There are supports running from front to back of course but not side to side except for the front and back wall.
    I’ll also mention that the plywood used for the top is a very thick plywood compared to the bottom sheet. Top sheet is just under an inch thick I believe.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The top frame of the 2 X 4 supports is where the bottom trim of the tank needs to sit.

For instance, for my 40B DIY stand, I built the stand for the exact dimensions of the tank...36" x 18"...and never used a top piece of plywood, it is unnecessary

Again, the bottom trim of the tank supports the entire weight of it, so you want the framework to match that dimension...with a plywood top, you don't know if the perimeter of the tank rests directly upon the framework if you can't see it

However, that stand you have built will be quite sturdy, especially with the cabinet walls, so all may be fine

Google "DIY aquarium stands" for more info
    Here is about where the tank edges rest. If I have about 1in thick flat plywood and 3/4" pink foam board on top, will that back edge still be an issue or would i need to add in some extra supports there if possible?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ideally, you'd want the entire tank trim to be supported by the frame, but with a 1" thick top layer, and the cabinet walls, I think it will be just fine

Your gonna need help moving this thing into position, I bet it's no lightweight, lol

Be certain it is perfectly level, wherever it ends up, before filling the tank with water