· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    Is it possible to remove the top plywood without damaging it? I ask this because from the first pic I can see where one of the center joists is higher than the front frame piece. It might be easier to sand or plain down the joist rather than trying to sand 1/4 inch of a sheet of plywood. This is the perfect time to go back and correct the joist. Then the plywood top should make a more level top. Other than that the stand looks great.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    ^^ Good advice.

Stand is a good design, I've used one very similar...try correcting the "hump" as best you can, and be sure to use 3/4 foam instead of 1/2"
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silbar View Post
    Is it possible to remove the top plywood without damaging it? I ask this because from the first pic I can see where one of the center joists is higher than the front frame piece. It might be easier to sand or plain down the joist rather than trying to sand 1/4 inch of a sheet of plywood. This is the perfect time to go back and correct the joist. Then the plywood top should make a more level top. Other than that the stand looks great.
    Oops, sorry I should have mentioned. The first pic was taken right before edges were sanded. I know exactly which one you are talking about and that was sanded down, along with the rest, so that all pieces were flush. That was just where I was at the end of the first day and then frame was sanded on second day.
    I am able to remove the top still and will be able to at any time since nothing is blocking it. So if I need to remove it to sand, I can. Here is a pic of it with the side panels on. As you can see, all that would need to be done to remove it if needed is remove the screws.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    That's an attractive stand. Are you going to stain it?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    That's an attractive stand. Are you going to stain it?
    Yes, I am! Just picked out stain yesterday and did a test but it will still be a while, have more work to do. Made the doors already and picked out handle and hinges. I also want to add a compass design to the side actually, trying to figure out how I will do that...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Ahhh ya got me! - Trillianne   Restocking your pond - Trillianne   Rep Message:  Thanks for the giggle!  Am still snickering. - Rhaethe   A little less toxic! Lol - Kayfish   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    ^^ Good advice.

Stand is a good design, I've used one very similar...try correcting the "hump" as best you can, and be sure to use 3/4 foam instead of 1/2"
    Just curious, whats the reasoning for 3/4" over 1/2"? I've never had an issue with either, but its possible I just got lucky. I did notice that with the thicker foam the "tank wobble" was noticeable for the smaller tanks (55g and below), thus why I tend to use thinner pieces.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    I used the 3/4" for my 40B DIY stand with no issues...I was just assuming there'd be a bit more "give" and cushion if the imperfection on his stand top is indeed 1/4" or so

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I used the 3/4" for my 40B DIY stand with no issues...I was just assuming there'd be a bit more "give" and cushion if the imperfection on his stand top is indeed 1/4" or so
    Awesome, thanks. I was wondering what the best size would be for this. Hoping to reduce the size of the warp but I'm thinking using 3/4" versus 1/2" anyways couldn't hurt at all.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome...I painted my stand black, and since the tank trim is black, I used black electrical tape along the cut edges of the foam to make everything blend together, you don't notice the foam unless you are looking for it...black duct tape would be fine, as well

Since your stand will be stained, you could use black tape and it would blend in with your tank trim (assuming it's black)

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome...I painted my stand black, and since the tank trim is black, I used black electrical tape along the cut edges of the foam to make everything blend together, you don't notice the foam unless you are looking for it...black duct tape would be fine, as well

Since your stand will be stained, you could use black tape and it would blend in with your tank trim (assuming it's black)
    Nice! Yes, the frame is black so that will work perfectly. I was thinking paint but the tape will work much better.