· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

Default more cichlid stuff

0 Not allowed!
    I sent an e-mail to the link that Slaphppy gave me to ask about cichlids. I have one for you cichlid people. In a one cichlid aquarium, would that single fish feel overly exposed, or would it care? Obviously the schooling ones do, but it sounds like the cichlids are not the social type.

I know I drive you all nuts, so the only way to explain the difference is between individual animal owner and the breeder. The breeder cares about their animals and tries to make things as close to the natural surrounding that they can. They also know that they will lose some animals while they are learning.

The individual owner usually deals with a small number of pets and takes a death very personally.

Now to avoid misunderstandings, I am NOT saying that you don't care about your fish or see them as individuals. It is merely a different way of looking at things. If you didn't care, this forum wouldn't be here. It does explain why I am a bit paranoid about this however. Make any sense?

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

1 Not allowed!
    It really depends on what species of cichlid. I've had red devils live by them selves for years and seemed very happy. On the other hand a fish like a Jack Dempsey seems to lurk when by them selves and seen less happy.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    There are so many cichlid species and types, that's a hard one to answer. I see you mentioned "schooling" cichlids. I don't know of any schooling cichlids except for angelfish and discus, but I've kept a single angelfish and so have other members here, and from what I've seen, a single angelfish will attach to his caretaker. I used to make sure my angel kept singly was intellectually stimulated by letting him follow my fingers on the outside of the tank and whatnot. On the occasions I kept an angelfish alone, they were just fine :) I can't say anything for other cichlids kept singly.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    That helps, thanks guys. I should have been more clear. I meant that fish in general that school (tetras etc. ) would feel exposed if they were kept alone. For those of you who have males with females, how do you find homes for all those fish? I don't have anything against babies, but I wouldn't have anyplace to keep them. I might be able to sell or give a couple to the local aquarium shop, but that is about all they would take.

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Ime, there are some really prolific breeding cichlids like kribensis for ex. I swear ALL the babies make it without any effort from me. They were a bit difficult for me to find homes for and I had to rehome my pair. I swore I'd never keep kribs again until I can keep them with a synodontis catfish for population control. My angelfish babies would never make it unless I was sure to feed them well. I never have trouble rehoming angelfish though. Also harder to breed fish like rams rehome quickly because of just that- they are difficult to breed and local tank raised rams are harder to find.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I swear, this is going to drive me nuts. i have a pH of 8.4 with a TDS of 649ppm. That is a pretty thin window. i'll find something.
    marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not much help, I've never worked with hardwater, but I've always been interested in Lake Tanganyika shell dwellers. Have you considered them?

https://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=65
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Get a big haplachromis male from lake Malawi, it would like your ph and interact with you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    i say brackish tank with mangrove root plants

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    How big is your tank? If it's big enough you could always have an African cichlid tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast