· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Back at it and need some advice

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all,
    First post so please forgive me. I suspect I will take some heat for this so let me give it to you straight. I currently have a 29 gallon freshwater tank with the original fish: 1x 2-1/2" kissing fish, 1x 1-1/2" blue Ram, as well as 1x 3-1/2" green Severum whom I've had for approx 2 months, 1x newly acquired 2" fire mouth (extremely shy) 1x newly acquired 2" Pleco. All fish appear to be healthy however the Severum is extremely aggressive to the point that he chases any fish w/exception of the Pleco feeding time or not. I've had green Severums in the past back when I had my 55g and they were extremely docile regardless of size. I'm assuming I may have to switch things up entirely be it a larger tank, different species, etc and I'm ok with that. I have plenty of caves, plants, etc. Please advise and thank you.

KennyP.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyP. View Post
    Hello all,
    First post so please forgive me. I suspect I will take some heat for this so let me give it to you straight. I currently have a 29 gallon freshwater tank with the original fish: 1x 2-1/2" kissing fish, 1x 1-1/2" blue Ram, as well as 1x 3-1/2" green Severum whom I've had for approx 2 months, 1x newly acquired 2" fire mouth (extremely shy) 1x newly acquired 2" Pleco. All fish appear to be healthy however the Severum is extremely aggressive to the point that he chases any fish w/exception of the Pleco feeding time or not. I've had green Severums in the past back when I had my 55g and they were extremely docile regardless of size. I'm assuming I may have to switch things up entirely be it a larger tank, different species, etc and I'm ok with that. I have plenty of caves, plants, etc. Please advise and thank you.

KennyP.
    Hey kenny,

I take it this tank is something you have picked up already running??

When i use to breed severums years ago.
    Found them very peaceful speices to most tank mates.

But in saying that they were breeding in a 100g.

By the sounds of it the severum has set up dominance over the others for the food sauce for the smaller tank size. Personally i would look at some rehoming. The severum and pleco would be first to move for me.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Hey kenny,

I take it this tank is something you have picked up already running??

When i use to breed severums years ago.
    Found them very peaceful speices to most tank mates.

But in saying that they were breeding in a 100g.

By the sounds of it the severum has set up dominance over the others for the food sauce for the smaller tank size. Personally i would look at some rehoming. The severum and pleco would be first to move for me.
    I picked up the 29 about a year ago and it has been up and running ever since. I sold my 55 a few years back. I saw the Severum and couldn't resist as it brought back memories of the old 55. With that being said I understand the 29 is too small but the question I have is this. If I upgrade to a 55 will the Severum's aggressive personality change? Can the combination of fish I mentioned coexist? Should I just scrap everything and keep the 29 as an African cichlid tank?

Thanks,
    Kenny

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

A green sev can grow to a foot long, and needs at least a 4 foot tank: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/heros-efasciatus/

The firemouth can grow close to 5", and needs a bigger tank as well: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/thorichthys-meeki/

I would look into rehoming these two, at the very least
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Chances are the severum's attitude won't change unless the other cichlids decide to become more dominant or until the severum is more than twice the size of the other cichlids in a bigger tank. I wouldn't keep those fish for life in a 55g.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Seems like great advice above. Unfortunately you have a tough choice with rehoming the larger chiclids.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    It might be a better bet to see if your LFS can rehome the larger fish, as you are aware, I suspect the aggression is due to the smaller tank and I'd want to get him out right away. Well, if the plecos are just 2", it sounds easier to rehome :) What type of plecos? Some stay tiny and might be ok in your 29g, but probably not two of them for territorial issues. Maybe a school like rasporas or tetras would be the best tankmates for a ram and gourami? Is that your kissing fish, gourami?

Do you know what your water hardness is? Kh and gh?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    It might be a better bet to see if your LFS can rehome the larger fish, as you are aware, I suspect the aggression is due to the smaller tank and I'd want to get him out right away. Well, if the plecos are just 2", it sounds easier to rehome :) What type of plecos? Some stay tiny and might be ok in your 29g, but probably not two of them for territorial issues. Maybe a school like rasporas or tetras would be the best tankmates for a ram and gourami? Is that your kissing fish, gourami?

Do you know what your water hardness is? Kh and gh?
    I'm definitely going to rehome the Green Severum and the Kissing Fish/gourami as they are easily the largest and most aggressive. I tested the following today: PH 6.8, Ammonia essentially Nil, Chlorine essentially Nil, Nitrates were a bit concerning around 40-60ppm. I did a 25% water change today which should bump the PH up according to my LFS. I do not have a water hardness test kit but I will pick one up. The Pleco is a common Pleco purchased from the local Petsmart. I would prefer to stick with new world cichlids or switch the tank up to an African cichlid tank as I'm not much of a community tank guy. Any advice on converting to a 29g African cichlid tank would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Kenny
    Last edited by KennyP.; 01-24-2018 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Missed answer to question

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Your pH suggests your water is on the soft side, but we don't know for sure until we know the gh and kh levels.

If your hardness ends up being on the softer side, look at west African dwarf cichlids from rivers and streams. An example would be kribensis, African butterfly or jewel cichlids.

For African cichlids that live in hardwater suited for a 29g, I'll leave it up to members who have hardwater.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Check your water quality report, and it will tell you if you have hard or soft water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast