· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc4 View Post
    ...They only have unsexed right now, three of them, and I want a male...
    With a solitary demasoni, the gender shouldn't make a difference as the genders are pretty much near-identical coloration-wise (though males are more likely to attain the 3"-3.5", females are somewhat smaller).

It will either shift into dominance coloration with confidence that it dominates the tank (as the solitary occupant), or shift into subdued coloration because it is the only demasoni in the tank (the confidence may take a dip because it is the only fish in the tank and with no other fish to 'dominate' (thus not shifting into breeding colors). Hard to say, since these fish have their own individual ambitions.

When in either full coloration or subdued, there is little difference between the genders (I'm not really 100% agreeing with the statement on Imperial's site regarding the gender-colors of this species..'Males will have the most color, while most females with will lack the color of the males. To have the most coloration you want to order a dominant male'.

(pics from years ago):

Unsexed juvies:
    01_pombomay08_fry.jpg

A mouth-brooding small female demasoni
    01_juvieymouthbrooder.jpg

Disregard the other species in the video (near-solid pale blue ps. socolofi, an a male blue/black marbled m. msobo, orangish female msobos and a single red zebra); 50% of the demasoni's in this video are female. Demasoni's in subdued coloration appear at the 0:24 (near center of screen) and at about 0:44 (one or two manuevering at/toward the lower-left corner.
    Last edited by kaybee; 01-22-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    I have some extra rocks coming in and of course fish food that is correct for the species. After that, look out fish. I did read that wet spot won't deliver if the overnight low is under 20F. I just have to look around and find a good place. The two I had been looking at are in California and Oregon, which is a long way from IN.

marc4
    If wetspot wont ship to you in those temperatures, I would not have fish shipped to me in general, regardless of where they come from.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    You mean until the weather warms up, correct?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    You mean until the weather warms up, correct?
    Yes, basically all good vendors who ship always look at their local weather and destination for shipping live animals.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    That is true....it's all about location, too

I would have no issue ordering from a vendor in Florida, this week, with my temps in the upper 60'sF all week and no freezing temps, and the same or even warmer there...but I would not order from a Northern state right now.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    That makes sense if I want live fish. Generally, the winters here are a bit odd. Since Dec. we have had days that were below freezing to days that were above 50F. We live in an area of IN that changes more than the surrounding counties.

Were I to order a fish during a period that forecasted above freezing and then it fell, do they just wait until it warms above their temp. minimum, send an e-mail and ship the fish? i think the idea of a complete water change within 24 hours of arrival is the best route and I don't want the fish to have to wait while I empty and refill.

If the tropheus damesoni has the same coloration regardless of gender, that causes less of a problem.

It looks like cichlid owners put a great number of fish into one tank. From what you have all told me is that there is less aggression with more fish, but don't that many fish cut down on the number of hide spots and territories? The answer is probably obvious and the tanks look huge. I thought about getting a larger yellow lab with a juvi tropheus, the idea being that the aggressive fish was smaller than the less aggressive one, but the forty seems small and if there was a problem, I wouldn't have a place to seperate them.

marc4

Given that you all order from different places, is there one shop that seems to have healthier fish to begin with?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    African cichlids from the rift lakes are one of the few groups of aggressive fish that have evolved with being overcrowded. The purpose of overcrowding is to disperse aggression across other fish rather than one fish becoming the focus. With overcrowding comes lots of water changes.

Considering that you have to determine the proper mix for your water during winter, I would just stick to your original plan.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    No worries. Its only partly about what I want. The other part is what is good for the fish. I don't have the room, budget or filtration for a tank big enough to handle more than what I am getting.

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Were I to order a fish during a period that forecasted above freezing and then it fell, do they just wait until it warms above their temp. minimum, send an e-mail and ship the fish?

Given that you all order from different places, is there one shop that seems to have healthier fish to begin with?
    Normally, they will just inform you to order at a later date, because they can't hold fish for every potential customer, they just don't have the space...and, by the time the weather cooperates, they may be out of stock of the fish you want.

I've always gotten healthy fish from TWS, so I haven't tried many other vendors....I may try Imperial Tropicals in the near future when they have they fish I want, our member here AmazonJoe works there....

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I thought maybe there was a place in central IN that was a little closer. Not only is shipping cheaper, but the weather is roughly the same. I won't buy fish off e-bay or craig's list. There is no way to tell if the stock is healthy. If people are getting healthy stock from TWS, then I'll try there. Meanwhile, I'm going to start doing weekly water changes of 50% so I can get an idea of how much has to be taken off how often to keep the nitrates at a decent level.

Thanks,
    marc4

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast