· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Fighting or mating?

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 angelfish in a 40 gallon tall tank, they've been together since they were small and now have been doing some weird stuff. It looks like they're fighting and I can't tell if they're male or female.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Awww :) They are beautiful! Anyone else in the tank? What exactly are you noticing?

If one angelfish is pinning the other against the glass and not letting it move, this is bad aggression. But angelfish will test eachother's strength to be a parent when they are thinking of pairing up, so you might see things like lip-locking and pushing. You might see the male (if you have one) stimulate ovulation by poking the female in the abdomen prior to spawning. The female usually allows this and only slightly moves back with nose pointed upward. They may turn on an angle and jerk themselves at the other angel without making contact, especially if they are alone in the tank. If there are other fish in the tank, you might see your angels chasing the other fish and keeping them on the opposite side. Can you try to explain what you are seeing?

I can't tell from the pics if they are spawning or even their sexes. But if I was to guess, and this is only an educated guess since angels cannot be 100% accurately sexed until the papilla is noticed, I would guess your clown Angel to be female, and your smokey angel looks like a male. Why do I guess this? It looks like a female's papilla in the first pic (although not clear enough to be sure!) and I believe I see a hump on the male's crown (but it could be the background). Have a look at the angelfish sexing sticky for pics distinguishing males from females. The female's ovipositor is wide and blunt. The male's is thin and pointy. Do you see a difference in person?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Awww :) They are beautiful! Anyone else in the tank? What exactly are you noticing?

If one angelfish is pinning the other against the glass and not letting it move, this is bad aggression. But angelfish will test eachother's strength to be a parent when they are thinking of pairing up, so you might see things like lip-locking and pushing. You might see the male (if you have one) stimulate ovulation by poking the female in the abdomen prior to spawning. The female usually allows this and only slightly moves back with nose pointed upward. They may turn on an angle and jerk themselves at the other angel without making contact, especially if they are alone in the tank. If there are other fish in the tank, you might see your angels chasing the other fish and keeping them on the opposite side. Can you try to explain what you are seeing?

I can't tell from the pics if they are spawning or even their sexes. But if I was to guess, and this is only an educated guess since angels cannot be 100% accurately sexed until the papilla is noticed, I would guess your clown Angel to be female, and your smokey angel looks like a male. Why do I guess this? It looks like a female's papilla in the first pic (although not clear enough to be sure!) and I believe I see a hump on the male's crown (but it could be the background). Have a look at the angelfish sexing sticky for pics distinguishing males from females. The female's ovipositor is wide and blunt. The male's is thin and pointy. Do you see a difference in person?
    Yeah sorry about the bad pics , I wanted to get a video of them but it doesn't seem to bad and it's not a constant struggle for one or the other. The only other fish I have in there are my BN plecos that have been mating and a couple khuli loaches. They were shaking at each other, lip locking , nipping yesterday and that was the first time I've noticed the behavior, today they're happy with each other again.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunscream1488 View Post
    Yeah sorry about the bad pics , I wanted to get a video of them but it doesn't seem to bad and it's not a constant struggle for one or the other. The only other fish I have in there are my BN plecos that have been mating and a couple khuli loaches. They were shaking at each other, lip locking , nipping yesterday and that was the first time I've noticed the behavior, today they're happy with each other again. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7c8309d99d.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...bbfa919435.jpg
    I've been trying to look at things like body shape and their breeding tubes but it's really hard to tell.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I really can't see anything in the pics either, so don't feel bad. Your angels are just so beautiful! Where did you get them?

I don't like the sound of nipping for an angelfish, the rest sounds ok. As long as one isn't overly aggressive with the other, and they're both holding their own, don't worry about it. Lol that they are friends again, doesn't surprise me in the least!
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I really can't see anything in the pics either, so don't feel bad. Your angels are just so beautiful! Where did you get them?

I don't like the sound of nipping for an angelfish, the rest sounds ok. As long as one isn't overly aggressive with the other, and they're both holding their own, don't worry about it. Lol that they are friends again, doesn't surprise me in the least!
    Thank you so much. I got them both when they were small at a local Wet Pets store. They both seem to be very happy in their tank and are very interested in what's going on outside of the tank, it's really funny actually. It just took me off guard when I saw them messing with each other and I actually haven't seen it happen again. Strange. I'm wondering if it was either mating or establishing dominance since they are both now bigger, I don't want to say mature since they're only about a year old. If that

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    At that age is when they will start to mature. Some strains breed earlier (8 months) in very good conditions. Angelfish are awesome fish, I love how they all quickly swim up to the surface when they see you in the room. Very inquisitive friendly fish!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have a little fishroom with a total of 14 angelfish and it really cracks me up when I enter the room lol!
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I have a little fishroom with a total of 14 angelfish and it really cracks me up when I enter the room lol!
    Update: they're mating. They aren't good parents though they ate their eggs

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Their first spawn? That's not uncommon.

What are the parameters mostly temp/hardness GH/kH?