· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

AC's defender from spammers! - Boundava   Thanks for the rep and support - Silbar   Happy Anniversary! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Not a blue one, but still a betta. Congratulations! - mermaidwannabe   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    They are quite the prolific couple!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    So @discuspaul I'm having a issue with these now spawning to often. So am I right to try and raise the hardness back up a tad for 2-3 weeks feed 3x a day pellets in the morning frozen/live food before water change then more pellets for final feeding of the day.

Then lower hardness to induce a spawn in the hopes the eggs have developed as they should.

The spawns they kept having every week were very small so i suspect the lowered hardness was to much of a good thing?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome to the community! - mojosodope   Welcome to AC - you have some great discus photos! - ~firefly~   Great advice you have Judi ;-) - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Well Joe, it's very seldom one hears a discus breeder complain about their fish spawning too often - LOL
    Not sure you should proceed to take any (potentially risky or otherwise) steps to try & dissuade them. IMO.

And what & how you feed them would not likely have any effect on their breeding behavior.

You might consider separating them temporarily (say, a 2-3 weeks) - at times that has the effect of changing their spawning regularity/behavior.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Well Joe, it's very seldom one hears a discus breeder complain about their fish spawning too often - LOL
    Not sure you should proceed to take any (potentially risky or otherwise) steps to try & dissuade them. IMO.

And what & how you feed them would not likely have any effect on their breeding behavior.

You might consider separating them temporarily (say, a 2-3 weeks) - at times that has the effect of changing their spawning regularity/behavior.
    They would spawn every week! Would that be enough time for proper egg development ? Also they would eat the clutch within a day.

Well I'm into week 2 of slightly harder water and it has discouraged the spawn I did the water change yesterday with the "softer" water and during the exchange they started the prespawn shakes and she started cleaning the cone so fingers crossed. Unfortunately I live about a hour from the farm so will have to see them on Monday.
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 04-28-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Question

0 Not allowed!
    What's your opinion @discuspaul on hatching eggs artificially and feeding tiny food like paramecium before newly hatched artemia is this something that is done by discus breeders? I don't really consider myself a breeder yet more like a one hit wonder so far haha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome to the community! - mojosodope   Welcome to AC - you have some great discus photos! - ~firefly~   Great advice you have Judi ;-) - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    I didn't realize they were spawning weekly, and yes, in those circumstances they would likely eat the clutch, and one doesn't want them to get into the habit of doing that.

And you're also right about a week not being sufficient time in most circumstances to allow proper development of the spawning.

However, isn't this the same pair that has spawned ok in the past, wrigglers have developed, which have then eaten well off the parents' slime coats, following which you've moved them to a grow out tank where they're seemingly progressing well ?

Not sure I understand what's going on then - is this same pair now spawning weekly and eating each clutch ?
    Unusually odd development, imo.
    As I mentioned, perhaps a separation would cause them to change their behavior & get back to doing things right.

It's good to hear though, that slightly harder water has discouraged the spawn without any other adverse side effects, so maybe this is the answer - I do hope lady luck is with you.

I know of quite a few breeders who have have & do succeed on a regular basis at artificially hatching eggs, so yes, why not give this a try if you feel so inclined.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks @discuspaul yes this the pair I got the nice size cutch from they are doing awesome in growout. So it was odd they went to spawning every week they must of really likes the lower level water and it's only a slight difference of say 20-30 ppm but still makes the difference clearly so let's see what happens on the next spawn if they eat the eggs then I'm taking the next spawn lol thanks for the advice.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons: