· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Yea its been a interesting journey one that wouldn't of happened without the AC and you all. I think of that progression everyday and thoughts of the future how far can I go......must be that kid in me still adventuring the Amazon jungle

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    Kids sure do grow fast!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    OK, got it. Thanks Joe...that makes sense. All this information on a real fish farming operation is great....it's a real inside look or as close to it as I've ever seen.
    I kinda feel like I just snuck in the back and started messing with their fish haha its a playground that's for sure. I have coworkers coming in all the time asking "all right what's new" then after a good little while the usual "oooooook guess I have to get back to work."

I do have the best gig in my opinion most of my fish I can see in the tanks unlike green house vats your looking down on the fish and when the air is going it's impossible to see much unless they up at the top begging for food.

But its not all rainbows and sunshine its dirty work in the ponds and cleaning the vats hard mineral rich water and a whole lotta sun what do you get???
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 02-20-2018 at 12:57 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome to the community! - mojosodope   Welcome to AC - you have some great discus photos! - ~firefly~   Great advice you have Judi ;-) - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    Yea soooo I'm wondering at what size/age to move them into a grow out. @discuspaul
    You can remove the parents from the breeding tank, or move the youngsters out to a grow out tank (as appropriate), when the young are obviously no longer dependant & feeding off the parents' slime coat, AND they have been regularly feeding on say, brine shrimp.

They will likely still be quite small - approx. less than silver dollar size, and perhaps 2-3 weeks of age or a bit older - although this differs from spawn to spawn - it's not an exact science.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 02-20-2018 at 01:00 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    You can remove the parents from the breeding tank, or move the youngsters out to a grow out tank (as appropriate), when the young are obviously no longer dependant & feeding off the parents' slime coat, AND they have been regularly feeding on say, brine shrimp.
    They will likely still be quite small - approx. less than silver dollar size, and 2-3 weeks old - although this differs from spawn to spawn - it's not an exact science.
    Cool I'm thinking they need another week from the looks of it they are feeding nicely on brine for past 3 days

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome to the community! - mojosodope   Welcome to AC - you have some great discus photos! - ~firefly~   Great advice you have Judi ;-) - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Cool I'm thinking they need another week from the looks of it they are feeding nicely on brine for past 3 days
    Feed them smallish amounts 6-8 X daily (cleaning up excess food residual at the tank bottom once or twice a day),
    and do 50%-75% water changes daily, and you'll see how fast they'll grow !

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks Paul! I'm excited to see what colors and patterns develop
    Yeah, that's a lot of fun to witness, but that'll be a while yet.
    I've had some discus not show their near true mature coloration until they're over 3" - some even 4" or so, and 6 months old or more - lol

The blue diamond in my avatar was over 4.5" at the time the pic was taken, and perhaps around 8 months old, ------ and he grew quite a bit more over the next few months, his shape improved somewhat, and his blue coloration changed to a more striking very even shade of blue.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 02-20-2018 at 01:17 AM.