· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Default Dicrossus maculatus

3 Not allowed!
    So these are a pair I setup a while back they had a small group of these F1's so i just picked the largest one assuming it male and the best looking "female"
    I'm happily surprised to see more and more color on the male which I had no idea was so intense always assumed these to be plain with the checkerboard pattern.
    Even the female has color which I've been told usually only happens when she has eggs/fry

Well hope you enjoy had to wait a while for this video they are relatively shy fish but nothing some artemia can't entice them out

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

1 Not allowed!
    That's a very nice looking pair!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Agreed, gorgeous fish, Joe
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Yep, gorgeous little cichlid. Just curious Joe, but I see leaves and branches on the bottom without any substrate? Is that enough to make them feel safe?
    Last edited by Taurus; 01-13-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Their natural environment is mostly leaf litter in some cases a foot deep so I think if anything I need more lol

The only time their not shy is first thing when I get to work feeding time lol they are right up front at the top of water waiting for the pellets to drop
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 01-13-2018 at 05:34 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh yes, their natural environment is layered with it. I've often wondered if skipping the substrate and just doing leaf\branch litter would lead to a successful long term SA home aquarium....

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Of course think of it this way your substrate is leaf litter...and alot of biotopes have this as the majority of the substrate plus countless others bits of wood and seeds and material
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 01-13-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Don't wanna brag OK maybe I do a little you all have been with me through it all a sorta crazy dive into a fish career its starting to reach a certain point I'm really excited about actually effecting the quality of fish available and I'm getting connected and backed by some big players in the industry Imperial is expanding my breeding room to give me the resources I need to keep progressing so I guess I might as well make this long I know most of you will read it all :)

So Mike the owner keeps a good tab on what I'm doing we often walk through and go over the good and the bad I've came to the to point now that I'm pressed for space for fry,growouts and new breeders which of course in turn creates even more need for resources its a nice linear problem especially since Mike told me the breeding room was a losing indeavour prior to me taking over they had no fish breeding besides one type. I have both the breeding room maxed and the adjacent Greenhouse maxed and this was all with the worse time of year to breed fish can't wait to see what I can do come spring and summer.

So the other really exciting bit of news I wanna share is the success so far in the biotope aquarium world first me and Ivan Mikolji have been become friends I've had a few good conversations with him on certain fish and photography things like that. I've also kinda become a forerunner for tannin aquatics being featured in alot of there posts. I recently joined Heiko Bleher's biotope group in the hopes to get some attention drawn before the up coming biotope contest I don't think anyone from the US has been in top 10 so will be cool to bring an award over here haha

Recently Heiko gave me some credit on this very video and coming from him that a huge deal at least to me....

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Congrats Joe, you deserve a big pat on the back, Imperial was lucky to have you come along
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    I recently joined Heiko Bleher's biotope group in the hopes to get some attention drawn before the up coming biotope contest I don't think anyone from the US has been in top 10 so will be cool to bring an award over here haha

Recently Heiko gave me some credit on this very video and coming from him that a huge deal at least to me....
    That is huge, heck it's all huge. I wish you nothing but continued success Joe...as always. Maybe you'll get to take a trip with Heiko one of these days.