· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

Question size discrepancy

0 Not allowed!
    I'm still trying to decide on what to put in my aquarium. During my search, I came upon two different aquarium/tropical fish stores with vast differences in size. One said that the Demasoni cichlid only grew to two and three quarters inches, while the other said five inches. That is more than just a little difference. Can someone tell me what they really are?

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   For new fish ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc4 View Post
    I'm still trying to decide on what to put in my aquarium. During my search, I came upon two different aquarium/tropical fish stores with vast differences in size. One said that the Demasoni cichlid only grew to two and three quarters inches, while the other said five inches. That is more than just a little difference. Can someone tell me what they really are?

marc4
    Are you speaking of Pseudotropheus demasoni? If so, here is the size listed on Seriously Fish ( 3 inches) which is a very reliable resource.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...heus-demasoni/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    3" is about right for Pseudotropheus demasoni ('Pombo Rocks'); some get a little bigger (3.5", maybe 4"), some a little smaller (I've got a colony of these guys). Demasoni's are a type of dwarf mbuna.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    An old pic, but here's a rough size comparison of a matured pseudotropheus demasoni (fish on the left) adjacent to an an approximately 5" black-barred zebra (metriaclima sp. chilumba 'Luwino Reef') at the right:

demasoni_bbzebra.jpg
    Last edited by kaybee; 01-13-2018 at 03:51 AM.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discusluv View Post
    Are you speaking of Pseudotropheus demasoni? If so, here is the size listed on Seriously Fish ( 3 inches) which is a very reliable resource.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...heus-demasoni/
    If they were referring to the pseudo, it did not mention it. I'll check again. It could also be that they figure anyone buying the fish would already know.

marc4

I found the site again. They are psuedo. I was looking at the listing just above the In Stock sign, where is was simply lited as Demasoni cichlid. Above that, it did say pseudotropheus-demasoni
    Moral to the story, read it ALL. I'd looked at a youtube thing on mixing fish that had small dark blue cichlids, don't remember all the details, but I had remembered that name from looking around and went hunting because they were so small. It was a fish with a look I liked and wanted to see if they were really that small or juvies. Having a smaller tank, the small size drew me. Now the film I saw was a big tank, even so, it looked overstocked to me, one cliff, sand bottom and estimated 15 fish of various sizes, colors and lakes. Still, I don't think one male and five or so females are going to fit in a 40 gallon like mine, but I still wanted to know.

Thank you for clearing that up.

marc4
    Last edited by marc4; 01-13-2018 at 09:20 AM.