· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helpful hint

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Helpful hint

2 Not allowed!
    Been in this hobby a lot of years.... Every once in a while I have an epiphany. I do a lot of things the same way every single time because that's what I've always done and that's what's always worked. So today after putting it off for like two weeks I'm still procrastinating dosing Panacur to my display RCS tank because I HATE trying to get it to dissolve in water. I justify it by telling myself that the planaria aren't killing my shrimp and they mostly just bug me and not a big deal.... Gah well I walk by this morning and there's one mondo ugly jerk worm on the front glass.... Alright can't take it. Going to do this today, four hours later and moving the Panacur packet 19,473 times around the house, I'm sitting on my couch having a stare down with the darn thing wishing that stupid worm hadn't been on my glass when I walked past so I could pretend they weren't there like I have been doing for two weeks.

I AM SO THICK HEADED SOMETIMES! Duh it doesn't have to be insanely difficult to dissolve.... Obviously I've always crushed it the best I can with a spoon or whatever but there's always those dumb big chunks that sit in the tank for a day before finally dissolving in their own. Light bulb went on today, and I'm sure most the planet already thought of this but just in case someone besides me never did.

Smash it in the packet with a rolling pin. Duh it's so easy and took like 30 seconds and it's a fine powder, dissolved into my water in like 30 seconds of shaking or less.

Anyone else ever realize for years they've been doing something the stupidly hard way for basically forever?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

0 Not allowed!
    next time try No Planaria, it works very well and desolves very easy!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genchem-No-...kAAOSw1OlZjFAb

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Just because it was an ultra gnarly one and I've never been so lazy about dosing nor seen one this big. Look at this guy! Don't mind all the cloudy it's meds... But by God he's an inch and a half long. If you look real close you can see the insides lol kinda fascinating in that disgusting type of way.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @fissh I use Panacur cause it's like $5 and I can get it anywhere lol plus I have cats and dogs and used to have hunting hounds so I just always have it on hand anyway. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

1 Not allowed!
    Well I guess it's back to the rolling pin

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Ewwwwwwwww! Tx for the tip! I haven't used anything for planaria yet, but now I'll know how to do it. I just need to buy a rolling pin!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Ewwwwwwwww! Tx for the tip! I haven't used anything for planaria yet, but now I'll know how to do it. I just need to buy a rolling pin!
    Haha I think anything round that has any weight to it or is durable enough to press down on without breaking (like no glass jars or cups) would probably work! I am a giant fan of baking things and have issues with my hands so I've got a good heavy marble rolling pin.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    You sure know how to grow 'em!!
    I know! Disgusting too lol but I wasn't feeding shrimp right as I was bouncing in and out of town and with an insane work sleep schedule during the holidays I couldn't ever remember what was going on or what day of the week it was half the time. I had to make a system to do my fert schedule right cause I couldn't even remember what I was supposed to dose, so I put whatever I dosed into the fish food drawer and got out and put in the fish cabinet whatever I was going to dose tomorrow. I am basically positive that they got this way because of over feeding, not ever clearing out the gunk from th bottom of the filter section in this tank for like three months. Combined with my weekly wc with a half hearted substrate vacuum (didn't want to catch babies back out of the bucket) to suck up loose stuff and the likelihood of me having been overfeeding yeah I definitely deserved the nasty creatures but wow lol really! Haha I knew they had triangle shaped heads but have never before had any get big enough to actually see it, was a yeah kinda sorta looks like a triangle. They definitely have that and they sting with little deals that look like eye stalks on a snail but aren't retractable that I could tell. Shrimp don't like the stingy parts but it never seemed to harm the shrimps, they'd just shoot away from it, and could walk right on top of the planaria bodies without harm.

And boy are the planaria coming out from hiding now, they very much do not like that I'm killing them today and are going like mad bats all over the tank trying to figure a way away from the stuff. I think I'll dose some prime here in 3-4 hours in case I end up with a spike in the parameters. I'm here till Sunday so as many wc and dosing are necessary can be done until they are gone. I gave a solid triple dose (my usual for planaria, about 3g per 10 gallons) but these boogers are huge so they might Hulk up and resist my standard dose lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    I like HOBs for the simple reason of being able to put a "pill" in it and have it dissolve slowly as water passes through it.