· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Switching substrate

0 Not allowed!
    Im thinking about switching substrate to something elee, possibly Eco Complete And
    Flourite Black mixture

I currently have PFS mixed with pebbles so that no gas buildup occurred but now most of the pebbles are shown and none of my plants are growing in the sand.

Can I switch substrate without removing all water and fish? Will it cause a cycle again?

Id enjoy hearing other thoughts and suggestions regarding this situation on what would YOU DO.

See below for current setup.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    You might cause part of the cycle to start again, the part with the heterotrophic bacterial bloom (white haze), by removing too much of the substrate. This is the bacteria to consumes the organic compounds in your water. You can reduce the chances for the white bacterial bloom by only removing 25% of the substrate at a time each week. I would do a 75% water change when you remove the substrate, and expect to clean out the canister next month.

Slap has had no problem using PFS for plants, he should be able to provide you with tips.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    How long has this tank been set up?

What lighting do you use, and how long are they on each day?

What kind(s) of plants have you tried?....ever use ferts?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    This tank has been setup for about 18 months now and I have a mixture of crypts

I am using a currrent USA led light set to full spectrum on about 9 hours a day with a three hour break in the middle of the day.

No ferts or co2.

I honestly dont care much for the look of the pool filter sand any longer and am I looking to switch to something thats more appealing to me and plants will thrive.

Possibly switching to a new 75g tank too because the scratches and condition of this tank has never been great.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    I've done complete substrate swaps in two of my older tanks, filled and with fish, with no issues with cycle or loss of fish. Tanks were a little hazy for several hours afterward but cleared up quickly.

It's a very simple process. Use a gravel vac to siphon all the sand out, then put your new substrate in. It can be tedious work, especially for larger tanks, but nothing about it is particularly difficult. Just really tedious and wet. Be sure to have towels around and try to avoid dripping a lot of water on your stand so the wood doesn't warp or peel.

A great method for putting the new substrate in without making a huge mess in the water is to use a large PVC pipe. Stick it in down to the bottom of the tank with the other end out of the water and pour your substrate into it. You'll still get a bit of cloudiness, but it won't be anywhere near as bad as it would be if you were to pour the new substrate directly in or try scooping it in with a large cup.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nwbearcat1998 View Post
    No ferts or co2.

I honestly don’t care much for the look of the pool filter sand any longer and am I looking to switch to something that’s more appealing to me and plants will thrive.
    Plants won't thrive without nutrients. Even dirt/soil tanks exhaust their supply of nutrients over time. Unless you have very dirty fish or very overstocked (lots of fish waste = fertilizer), most plants will stall out if you are not providing supplements. Sand makes this more difficult because the grains are smaller and compact more easily, making it difficult for mulm/detritus to work its way down to the roots. You can absolutely grow all sorts of things in pool filter sand, but you need to make sure the roots are getting nutrients.

This is a shot of part of my 90g with about 150 crypts. It's using pool filter sand (I mixed a tiny bit of black diamond sand to give it a textured look). All those crypts came from just two original plants a year and a half ago. Fertilizer dosing is key. If you're not getting enough from your livestock (which is a poor source, to begin with), nutrient supplementation is a must for a successful planted tank.

cryptfarm.jpg

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What fertilizer dosing are you using??

I did make a bunch of homemade root tabs but got lazy I may add those back and increase the amount of Pool filter sand and mix in some black sand for texture.