· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

Default From the old 34 to the new 90

6 Not allowed!
    So after realizing there was a great salty community on this forum I have decided to post this build here. I currently have a Red Sea 130D I bought used about 6 months ago. It was my first adventure into salt water and I could have never predicted how much I would like it. I can't put a finger on just why I enjoy the salt water so much but I do. So I have been running the 34 gallon and with varying degrees of success. I have already learned some lessons but have also discovered I would much rather have a larger tank that is not an all in one aquarium. I have nothing against all in one aquariums, and plan to use an older JBJ 12 gallon for a rock flower anemone tank later. For my mixed reef however, I want the expansion and flexibility of a sumped design rather than an all in one.

So one day why casually perusing facebook I came across a brand new 90 gallon drilled with over flow box aquarium. It was made by Planet Aquarium, which in Texas at least is one of the premium tank manufacturers. I had seen a couple of them and they are stunning tanks. The price was right and a little cheaper than what I would pay at a shop. The guy bought it has an impulse and had never used it. This tank has never seen a drop of water, and he was throwing an older T5 fixture in with it to boot. So after being encouraged by my wife I picked it up last night. Pictures do not do this tank justice, I have never had a tank this pretty, could not be more happy with it.

So this will be a slow build, there is still much to buy. But I will update has I go and I'm sure ask many questions. Below is a slightly older picture of my 34 gallon and a couple of pictures of the new tank that will be taking it's place. The tank is in my bedroom and my patience will be tested while trying go slow and build this tank the right way

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the new tank.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Even empty, that's a nice looking tank. At least you have a running tank to still enjoy while you take your time and test your patience with this new build. In the long run it will be well worth the time taken.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you both! The pictures really don't do justice, its beautiful. Too bad I can't convey to the current inhabitants that that is their future new home. Both tanks are in the same room at the moment.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Verrrrry nice :) Look what you've been hiding from us lol! It's beautiful!!! Those vertically striped fish with the snake - tongue caudal fin are my favorite saltwater fish :) But lol, I really don't know anything about it. YET!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Verrrrry nice :) Look what you've been hiding from us lol! It's beautiful!!! Those vertically striped fish with the snake - tongue caudal fin are my favorite saltwater fish :) But lol, I really don't know anything about it. YET!
    Well if you ever decide to try you'll never look back. Most of the fish in my tank are the absolute most common beginner fish, but I still like them. The most exciting thing about this 90 is I plan to add an eel. I have always loved eel's and can not wait to add one. The wife wants a fox face Lo, I figure she tolerates the tanks i can add her favorite to the tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    Well if you ever decide to try you'll never look back. Most of the fish in my tank are the absolute most common beginner fish, but I still like them. The most exciting thing about this 90 is I plan to add an eel. I have always loved eel's and can not wait to add one. The wife wants a fox face Lo, I figure she tolerates the tanks i can add her favorite to the tank.
    EVERYBODY says that.....I just don't know. I love freshwater plants so much...I'll just watch vicariously thru journals. That's exciting, an eel! Be sure to post about him when you get him!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Oh I will, I would have posted about the 34 gallon more but I did not realize there was as much activity on the salty side on here. I have my choice of eels down to two breeds, just have to finally settle on one.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, this is what you were talking about the other day on FB! Very nice, Matt! Great score.

Are you keeping the T5 lighting, or are you going to convert to either MH or LED?

It will be interesting how you sump the tank. I hate to say it, but I think you're gonna have to go with a 20long for this tank as long as you keep that stand. The usual sizes that come to mind...40longs, 40breeders, and 55gs... all share the same dimensions - either side/side, or front/back - as the 90g and I just don't see how you could get any of those to fit in the stand. Have you considered selling the stand and using the funds to buy materials to build a custom stand?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Would a 33g or 55g work? Too tall?
    -Kat

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast