· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Where do you plan on keeping the saltwater pond? You can keep eels if you're wiling to make a cover for it. I mean, it doesn't have to be pretty since you're not going to be around to look at it all the time and when you are, you can remove the cover to look at it/feed/etc.

I think most if not all fishes are capable of jumping if spooked while they're swimming up as opposed to dashing for the rocks. I had angels, triggers, and tangs jumping before while spooked. The trigger flew right out of the tank but luckily landed on the back of the glass cover top as opposed to taking the impact from the hard floor. It was spitting water at me in one minute and jumping out of the tank the next.

Next, it would be good to plan on the order of adding the fishes depending on what you get. Do you plan on getting juv/sub adults and grow them together or get adults? There will usually be a dominant fish in a FOWLR who will treat the tank as his territory and everybody else is his subject.

Passer angels are probably the most aggressive of all the larger angels. I don't recommend them if you plan on having more than one type of large angel. Sometimes, you can get a less aggressive one and throw it in with a bunch of different type of fishes to help spread the aggression, but that's not a good long term goal if you plan to keep it for a long period of time. Undulated, clown, and queen triggers are also quite aggressive. They will bite the hand that feed them once they are comfortable and establish their territory, and they have TEETH! What eels are you planning to get if you do get them? Some are quite unpredictable and will just take a chunk out of your fish while probing for a potential meal. Once my Tessie eel gets bigger, he's going into his own tank. That thing will attempt to attack anything during feeding time if they get in the way between the food and it, including you!

Groupers will swallow just about anything that can fit into its mouth. Miniatus groupers are one of my favorite but can be complete bullies as well. You may be able to get away with small cat sharks. Other than that, nothing else.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Well my wife and I have went back and forth about a plan for me to have a dedicated fish room that doubles as my office. We have discussed a few ideas and I think the final and best choice is me taking over the garage, we donít use it for itís intended purpose anyways. I canít ďencloseĒ my garage due to the HOA but I will put up a false wall on the inside of the garage door. I have a lot more work to do and it probably wonít start for 6 months.

With all that being said the pond will go in my fish room. The plan is to tie my reef display (350 ish), this, two frag tanks into a large sump.

I had contemplated making a cover for it while Iím not in the room. When I go in there to work or play with the tanks I could take it off and enjoy the view. I thought you could actually use some screen and some elastic and make one that stretches over and hangs under the lip. But thatís just a thought.

If thatís the case I would think maybe a zebra or something to help with the aggression of an eel. I havenít explored large predators much so I have a lot of research to do, but lots of time to do it. Iím thinking I will probably add juvenile and let them grow up together. Iím not sure that will help but I think it would be fun to grow them and have them their whole lives.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Is there a side wall to the garage that you can knock a chunk out without ruining the structural integrity of the support in place to create an in wall tank? It'll be cool to be able to view one side and the other your fish room. May have to think about ventilation as well if it becomes too humid with all the tanks.

Japanese dragon eels are at the top of my list for less aggressive and more community FOWLR type of eels. They look fierce but from my experiences with them, I think they're comparable to a swowflake or zebra eel. I haven't had one that is an absolute monster yet. Not to mention, they're simply stunning to look at, especially the males with the redder coloration. I find the Hawaiian dragons to have more yellow and orange and not as brightly colored as their siblings. The Mexican/Brazilian dragons are also a good alternative that's cheaper but not as colorful, but there are a couple of them that share the same common name (Muraena pavonina, Muraena melanotis, and Muraena retifera). These guys all hail from the Atlantic. A close relative is the jeweled (Muraena lentiginosa) which is more readily available and on the eastern Pacific. When they are adult size, they are all stunning, check them out. There are a couple of honorable mentions that I like as well (Kikado, Fangtooth Moray, Banana Eel (and the normal variation), Whitemouth, Black Edge, Snowflake, Zebra). I'm not including any of the super aggressive ones on here and they get too big for a 300 gallons anyway.

For large angels, try to get one from different family. The biggest and baddest one go in last. 300 gallon is not that much space if you're thinking about one of the larger adult angels at adult size. One will be the "King" of the tank if you choose to put multiple in there. I've seen many people keep them for short period of times together but if you're looking for 5+, 10+ years, then it's very uncommon to have adult angels in a small tank together. Larger aquariums will do okay as they will have room to establish their territory. Pick the one you like most. Another thing to consider is the common region they're in. For instance, queen angel and French angel are from the same region so they usually tolerate each other better than angels from other regions. But even so, I'm not sure how long that friendly relationship will last once they're full adults in a 300 gallons. By order of my favorites of the larger angels (10" +) : Queen, Emperor, Passer, Maculosus, Scribbled, Blue line or Maze variation, Majestic, French, then Cortez. By order of medium sized (around 8" - 10"): Regal, Clarion, Masked (Male), Goldflake, Masked Swallowtail (Male). By order of dwarf: Peppermint, Interruptus (male), hydrid lemonpeel, multicolor, golden, flame, potters, coral beauty. I left out some common ones in the trade because I don't like them. Angels are absolutely stunning fishes but personality wise, I think other fishes are more fun to interact with.

Triggers, go for Xanthichthys family. The other families can be hit or miss or just plain deadly (Clown, Undulated, Queen, Titan, and Blueline are all mean as adults). But the meaner triggers also have much more personality IMO. They grunt, spit water at you more often than not, chase after your hands. They will shoot a jet of water into the sand to look for inverts/mollusks or just because they are bored. They will flip certain inverts up to get to the softer side to get to them. Some will just randomly attack your equipments/chords in the tank for no reason at all or maybe they think they can grind their teeth with it.

Wrasses are also beautiful but some may get into fight with groupers since they have similar shape. Red Breasted and Broomtail are my two favorite and don't really require sand. Formosa and Red Coris are two larger wrasses that I like. The anampses has two rare beauties in their family that sometimes go on sale. Lennardi is my favorite and I have a couple of those guys, absolutely beautiful colors. It's sometimes scary to come and inspect the tank and don't see them but you know they're hiding in the sand. But other time, it could spell trouble if you can't see them for a couple of days, but then they just magically show up. Then there is your readily available harlequin tusk. Not all Australian have the bright orange tail and at the same time, some from outside Australia also have the orange tail and bright colors. It just depends.

Puffers are very cool. The Golden morp is my favorite. The mappa pufferfish is also beautiful. There are also the blue variation of the porcupine puffer and they're stunning as well but you will rarely see them in the states.

Groupers can be shy at first but once they're acclimated and comfortable, they will be bullies. Small fishes are fair game to them. Of the ones that are good for a 300, I think miniatus, blue line, or polleni would do. It is also extremely fun to watch them "watch" you. They would play hide and seek with you, stalk you for food, or just perch on a rock and stare you down. It's simply hilarious.

Lionfish, I just don't like them. But to each his own.

Sharks: smaller cat sharks if you really want them.

Some other fishes to consider: large filefishes (related to triggers); Hifin snapper (red snappers get too big); Spanish hogfish; Yellow Blotch (Orange Spot) Rabbitfish, Scribbled Rabbitfish, Blueline Rabbitfish; Giant Squirrelfish.

There are others I haven't listed probably because I don't remember them all right now. But you will definitely need a good filtration system and a skimmer. One of the thing to watch out for is waste management for these eating machines.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Thatís an incredible reply thank you for taking the time.

Unfortunately the garage doesnít share a wall with a common area to do something cool like that. Humidity will be an issue, I like open top tanks and tend to encourage evaporation. Iím going to put the garage on itís own AC, probably a mini split. As far as ventilation, I havenít decided exactly how Iím going to approach it yet. I know I need a really good system. Iíll also run a dehumidifier in conjunction with the ventilation. Iím going to have to have a contractor do some work anyways, I need A LOT more electric access in there so Iíll get ventilation worked out with them. When this gets serious Iíll start a build thread and the skimmer will be a big topic for me. Iím just not sure what to go with on this big of a system.

I will be sitting down and doing research on these species youíve mentioned. I would like to think I can keep all these fish for a very long time. So I stay away from the larger breed angels. The dragon eels are pretty awesome so thanks for bringing them up.

If I do put a puffer Iím pretty sure my wife will insist on a dog face. Those are her favorites and itís the least I can do to put one in there for her.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, it'll be a long term project for sure if you want to convert your garage into a dedicated fish room. I imagine it'll be hot/warm year round down in Texas, so maybe some sort of AC system that can act as a dehumidifier and keep the garage @ room temperature would be good so you won't have to invest in a chiller for hot months.

If you can get your LFS to order from Quality Marine for you, then try to have them get in contact with the wholesaler. These guys are good and can bring in some rare fishes, including some of the uncommon eels (M. Melanotis). Sometimes, you can get lucky with Diver's Den but probably has better chances with QM.

Dogface puffer are cool too, they do have several different variations too. Funny thing is my favorite puffer of all time isn't even a saltwater one, but the freshwater Mbu puffer. I think it is much more attractive than any marine puffer fish, just because of the pattern.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah in Texas out of 12 months about 9 of them are pretty warm. AC companyís stay pretty busy around here. Iíve never ran a chiller because we have an AC and I hope I donít have to. I will just have to set up all my ventilation and see if it keeps up. Iíll figure out pretty quick if itís going to do it. I am going to do a bunch of research and see what other people have done and get some ideas.

Locally we have one store and they suck. As far as finding a store to work with like that Iíll have to go to Dallas area, about a 4 hour drive. If I can get a good relationship I will do it. I donít mind a day trip for a nice fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Newest member of the clan, a nice healthy scoppis tang from a local reefer. We have Winston the foxface so here is Churchill the tang.

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839