· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Too long, I believe. The stand is the same measurements as the tank, so anything that's 48" long or 18" wide won't fit inside it. If Matt builds a stand, he could leave the ends open, which would allow him to run a sump that's 48" long (33long, 40long, 55g, etc.). If he leaves the doors off and there is no vertical support in the middle, he could probably fit a shorter but wider (18") tank in there, like a 30/40breeder.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Ah, this is what you were talking about the other day on FB! Very nice, Matt! Great score.

Are you keeping the T5 lighting, or are you going to convert to either MH or LED?

It will be interesting how you sump the tank. I hate to say it, but I think you're gonna have to go with a 20long for this tank as long as you keep that stand. The usual sizes that come to mind...40longs, 40breeders, and 55gs... all share the same dimensions - either side/side, or front/back - as the 90g and I just don't see how you could get any of those to fit in the stand. Have you considered selling the stand and using the funds to buy materials to build a custom stand?
    Actually there is a guy in Dallas who is going to build one for me. I have no idea what size tank he is going to use but he knows the dimensions of the stand. He said the total volume would be 30 gallons. Nothing special, just a glass tank with glass baffles, but at a really good price.

Lighting.....I love aquariums but I despise lighting. The plan at the moment is to replace the bulbs in the current T5 fixture on the tank. They will be good for 9-12 months. That will be enough time for the tank to really mature and develop, plus enough light to grown some LPS and softies. Then I will get the light I really want. The plan is to go T5/led hybrid. It will be a 4 bulb t5 fixture with two AI hydras 26 led units.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    As far as going with a different stand, I am going to try and avoid it. I like this stand, its solids maple and very well built.

Boof is right, the 55 is a little too long and tall. with the height of the 55, you would have a hard time getting a skimmer in sump.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    That's awesome. Does the stand have a center support between the doors, or is it wide open?

I can't decide between the AIs and the SBReefs. The folks on the FB group are pretty polarized on that issue. You'd think they were discussing politics every time someone starts a discussion/argument over the lights.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    That's awesome. Does the stand have a center support between the doors, or is it wide open?

I can't decide between the AIs and the SBReefs. The folks on the FB group are pretty polarized on that issue. You'd think they were discussing politics every time someone starts a discussion/argument over the lights.
    Your right about the lighting disccusions, which is half the reason I hate it so bad. I have looked at the SBreef lights. They have a 46” that would work for this tank. Funny enough after I responded earlier to the question I discovered another LED lighting option which got amazing reviews from Bulk Reef Supply. The price isn’t too much worse then the 46” SB option. It’s called the Atlantik V4 LED. So I guess the new answer would be I have no idea what I’ll do. I know I have resigned myself to spending around $1000 about a year from now on a lighting upgrade. Well see when it gets closer which way I decide to go.

The stand does have center brace, but its all of 2” wide, so it’s not too big of an issue.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    The stand does have center brace, but its all of 2 wide, so its not too big of an issue.
    I was curious as I didn't know how it would affect being able to insert the sump. If the sump is too long or wide you might run into issues getting it into the stand's doorway.

I haven't heard of that light. I'll have to check it out.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I don’t think it will be a problem, the cabinet doors are pretty big. We’ll see if I’m eating my words down the road.

432FF925-C763-44C3-B2DC-38C058DAB3FF.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    The wife wants a fox face Lo, I figure she tolerates the tanks i can add her favorite to the tank.
    A very smart man...

What's the issue with the lights currently sitting on the tank? They look so nice sitting there. But I'm not up on the technical stuff of lighting.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh that looks like plenty of room. If nothing else you can take one of the doors off to put it in.

Any thought on what you're gonna use for circulation?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    A very smart man...

What's the issue with the lights currently sitting on the tank? They look so nice sitting there. But I'm not up on the technical stuff of lighting.
    The general consensus is that it will grow some coral but not the more light demanding stuff.

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast