· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default help with identifying these cichlids.....help

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone,
    I am new to this forum so I am sorry if this post comes up 100 times lol not quite sure I know what I am doing. just wondering if someone or someones can help me identify these cichlids??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Hi and welcome to the AC :)

I think you have a couple African butterfly cichlids (Anomalochromis thomasi), not sure of the other. Beautiful fish ;)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Kat,
    Thank you for replying:) Which ones are the African Butterfly cichlids? I thought that's what my LFS said but for the life of me I can't figure out who is who and what is what lol I just want to do things right but I dont even know what they are! haha These are the first cichlids I have owned so I am totally new to this kind of fish. I have been reading a lot but I have looked at so many different kinds I have gone blank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    The fish with the blue speckling looks like a Geophagus brasilensis type. If it is a male it can get to 10". Overall, they can be really aggressive to other cichlids. They like to have cooler water for a few months around 73F, so set your heater to around that temperature. Minimum tank size is a 75g.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much. I am thinking I will bring him back to my LFS. I dont mind the size but he is already aggressive to the others. I really like him but not if he will hurt the others.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    ok so I have ordered a 210gallon set up and I am wondering if hoplo catfish 4 of them and a striped raphael and spotted raphael catfish and the half banded eel can go in with these cichlids. I thought I knew what the fish were but I dont! The only one I know for sure is the butterfly cichlid and i just purchased a severum and a firemouth to go in that tank also. if anyone knows what they are please let me know please please :) also if I can put the other fish in with them. thank you so much in advance. I also kept the aggressive cichlid because i got attached :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkijas View Post
    Hello Kat,
    Thank you for replying:) Which ones are the African Butterfly cichlids?
    It was the 1st and last pic that I thought looked like anomalochromis thomsi.
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes you did and you are right except I only have one I just put two pictures up of the same fish lol I just dont know any of the others or if those catfish and eels can go in with them. I am having a hard time figuring this all out

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I cannot ID the others, is pic 2 and 3 of the same fish as well? Hopefully someone can ID for you and give you answer about the catfish and eels.

It would help the members here if you post your aquarium size, filtration, current stock, water parameters to give the best most accurate advice.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    hoplo and raphaels will be fine, not sure about the banded eel.

You could have aggression issues among the firemouth, severum, and brasilensis.