· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Glad you're doing your research! - Rue   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   

Default Female with possible fin issue

0 Not allowed!
    So about two weeks ago I noticed my female GBR was hiding under a decoration. She came out when I fed them but seemed to swim a little strange. But since once before I saw she laid eggs I thought maybe that was happening again and she was trying to keep the angelfish away. Then yesterday I noticed her one pectoral fin was sticking out funny and I can't quite tell but there may be a small white bump. I just dosed the tank with pimafix just in case it is a fungal thing...but any other ideas? She is still eating but still in hiding. Tank parameters are all good. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and maybe 5 nitrate. The other fish seem completely normal.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    would need a picture.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Glad you're doing your research! - Rue   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   

0 Not allowed!
    I tried but I can't seem to catch it. Not even sure now if there is a growth or if it is just the scales around the fin since the fin is away from body.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    So she is not using her pectoral fin with the white bump? Do you ever see white marks in the angelfish pectoral fins? I see white marks quite often, it's from fighting, fish ramming into their sides. Did she lay eggs without a male GBR? Is it possible it's an injury? Let us know how she does :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, there is a male GBR in the mix. He did seem to be a bit of a jerk to her for a while, I actually posted about it a few threads down. Lately she has been left alone. She doesn't seem to be using the fin, it seems to be pretty much at a 20-30 degree angle to he body all the time.

The angels and male GBR don't appear to have any issues, bumps or spots. The angels sometimes jockey for position with each other but never towards the GBR, but I have seen the GBR male push them off. This behavior is what made me suspect she laid eggs and he was helping to protect them. I may look to move her to another tank and see how she does, I am just concerned she may get stressed from the change if it is just an injury and I could make things worse.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I think your main tank would be better for her. At this point, you can't medicate and you risk adding her to an uncycled tank. If the male GBR is leaving her alone, I don't see a reason to move her yet. Give it a day, she may start to use it tomorrow. I've seen this happen at least once with my angelfish.

My angelfish never bother with rams, but like you've noticed, my male EBR has been pretty aggressive in the community tank, chasing away tetras and even angelfish. My male was chasing my lone female EBR too much, so I now keep 1 male to 3 females. Each time I keep rams, I find the males are more aggressive than other cichlids I've kept.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The other tank should be OK from a cycle stand point but adding her might mean I have to do more frequent WC's at first. My bigger concern is I keep the tank "cycled" by letting indian almond leaves break down. But this Tanin may be too much of a shock for her so I agree right now I will just let her rest and see what happens.

What do you think about continuing the Pimafix? Not sure there is a growth but figured the Pimafix was kind of cheap insurance...providing it isn't going to stress everyone.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Does the spot look fuzzy? If it's just a white mark that kinda looks like a large ich spot, I've seen it before.

I consider Pimafix as just that - "cheap insurance". It probably won't help very much if fungus has set in already, but may help prevent it. If your parameters don't change, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Just my opinion though!

You can add a few IALs to the main tank, they are also known to prevent fungus and have antibacterial properties. I add them to my soft water fish tanks regularly, but add more when I see an injury.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 01-09-2018 at 09:18 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So today I noticed she seemed to be slightly curved so I decided to pull her out and put her in the qt. But since she isn't used to IAL I did the following:

Emptied qt and removed degraded I AM. Then filled qt with about 2/3 water from main tank and the rest fresh. I then put a small piece of an IAL in there and moved her. I figure this way she can get used to tannins as they come out. This tank is usually a degree or so warmer. I figure using main tank and fresh water she will also slowly get used to that. I also dropped a breeding box in the tank since this tank seems to have more current and it looked like she might need a spot to rest. But she did eat a few frozen blood worms, so I hope I can turn this around.

In the main tank everything seems normal. The angels always seem to nip each other during and right after WC and the male ram will nip at them as well. Everyone seems to swim and look normal. Only thing is the male appears to be looking for her. Hopefully i will have her back in there soon.