· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry for the loss. - Slaphppy7   

Default Lost female of mated pair

0 Not allowed!
    This morning as I was surveying my 125 gallon FW planted tank, I noticed something unusual and at first could not tell what it was.
    Upon investigation, I discovered one of my 2 beautiful, mated 4 1/2" veiltailed Angels on it's nose! Upon removal, it was obvious it was dead. Apparently died during the night as it had that distinct odor of decay.

In this aquarium I keep 8 Angels, some platys and Kuli Loaches. Yesterday I did my weekly maintenance, checking water parameters, (near perfect) cleaned glass, vacuumed and did my weekly 10 to 15% water change. At that time all of the fish were accounted for and this fish was doing great.

Last evening during feeding time she was actively seeking her share of blood worms along with the rest of the gang.

She and her mate have historically been in charge of all. Typical of A.P.Scalare, When spanning, they terrorize the rest of the fish and demand they alone occupy 1/3 of the territory.

I had commented to my wife that the other fish seemed to be chasing after this pair instead of the usual, being the other way around. Apparently they carried out "aquarium justice" of some sort during the night. I check all of my aquariums before I head to bed. All seemed ok in this one.

When I removed the body of the dead fish, most of the long flowing ventral fins were nearly gone and the dorsal and tail heavily damaged. Of course these could have been cannibalized during the night.

I guess, what I am looking for is anyone much more experienced with these fish to offer any suggestions to prevent this from occurring again.

Thanks for you time

Terry Jack
    Helena MT
    125 gallon FW community, 38 gallon FW community, 10 gallon FW Mollies, 10 gallon isolation, 2.6 gallon Betta, 1.5 gallon FW shrimp, small garden pond with 3 Comet goldfish and on Koi.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a loss of pairing.
    Similare things happens with my Apistogramma if I am to late in seperating them if the bond fails.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hello and thank you for replying.
    Can you explain more what you are telling me?
    These 2 of mine have been together for some time. I am positive of the sexes. I have seen the female lay eggs and them male fertilize them. I have no place to attempt to raise fry so have made no attempt to proceed more than observe.

Thanks again,

Terry
    125 gallon FW community, 38 gallon FW community, 10 gallon FW Mollies, 10 gallon isolation, 2.6 gallon Betta, 1.5 gallon FW shrimp, small garden pond with 3 Comet goldfish and on Koi.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Is this a heavily planted tank? Is there an air stone?

Cichlids can turn on mates quickly overnight and kill them despite being together for years.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    This aquarium is very heavily planted. I do not have an air stone as the tank is lightly populated.

Thanks for inquiring.

Terry

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for your loss :( The loss could be attributed to anything fluky, but most likely the pair bond broke. Did you notice if the pair themselves were fighting?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    they have been at each other since the size of a half dollar. We have friends who dearly love each other ut fight constantly. Their names are Brian and Kathy. These two were give those names ha!

I am aware that Angels do fight often so just assumed that was what was up. The 2 of them always guarded that part of the aquarium and chased any trespassers out.

I should have mentioned that this aquarium as with all of mine other than the isolation are all planted and have a lot of rick and wood in them. Lots of hidey holes.

I was thinking this incident is one of those violent animal kingdom things, but if I am doing something incorrectly wanted to throw it out there.

Thank you for commenting.

Terry

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Angelfish like all cichlids have individual personalities. Occasionally I come across an unusually aggressive angel, but it doesn't usually pair up either. Angelfish pairs lock lips and push at eachother to test their parental strength. Before the spawn, the male will ram his head into the abdominal area of the female to promote egg production. Usually, the female will position herself slightly nose up and let the male poke at her, but I don't find it looks like they are fighting. If the pair was not successful at guarding the eggs, it is possible one of the parents decided the other was not up to being a parent.

Based on what you wrote, I can't see how you did anything wrong, sounds like one of those things.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Is this a heavily planted tank? Is there an air stone?
    I'm just curious what the airstone question is pls?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I'm just curious what the airstone question is pls?
    The plants will produce carbon dioxide and consume oxygen with the lights off. If you do not have enough water surface agitation at night, healthy fish can be suffocated overnight.