· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default finally doing good until ...????

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so my tank had been cycling for the past month or so and my tests are finally coming up with 0 ammonia and nitrites and around 15 nitrates. Kh 10 Gh 18. So Ive lost about a fish per week for the past 6 weeks but nothing sense the middle of December. I figured they could not handle the cycling even though I did as many 50% watch changes as I could fit in. Any where from 1-3 days apart as Im getting the water from my parents 30 min away. Thats the best solution Ive come up with for this tank as my tap here has a kh of 1 but a tds of 195 befor I add anything so Im importing it from across county lines. But now Ive got a yellow tail aa that has always done great looking lathagaric. He has always been my kinda tank indicator as the lighter he is the more something is off. But now he is nice and dark and everyone else is doing good but Im noticing a few small bumps on him. Also I just added 3.5 Tbs aquarium salt and with in 5 minutes he took a long whitish clear poop. More stringy than substance. I was thinking it was bloat going through my tank. I ordered clout but when I went to dose it I watched the tank for a couple hours and Im not so sure. Plus the meds are super blue and I dont want to stain my rocks unless it actually will help. The aa also seems to be kinda gulping all the time but wont eat for the last 2 days that Ive noticed. The tank has an over all good appetite at first but they seem to get full very quick lately. I feed mostly omega one veggie pellets mini size and NLS veggiemax but they are too big for the little guys. So Im at a loss. Here are pics of the spots I noticed but the camera makes them seem whiter.
    A11D117A-3F4B-4C55-8C6A-4397CAA9AB23.jpgA2D12922-8C34-4D29-9E47-6038EE01BB5E.jpg1918CCCC-F93A-49A3-8193-30CBAE4EA9A7.jpg91A719FB-0F8B-474C-AAF0-9665380850E2.jpg

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Most clearly visible on first pic behind his eye. There is also one bump on his lower lip a little to the right of center looking at him head on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    You can use your tap water but you have to mix the tap water correctly for malawi conditions.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/buffer_recipe.php

NLS algaemax comes in 1mm size pellets

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

0 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=Rocksor;1478685]You can use your tap water but you have to mix the tap water correctly for malawi conditions.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/buffer_recipe.php

Interesting article about buffer.
    MNcarpenter I can't tell anything for the pictures. Maybe try again?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Looking how the bumps are along the lateral line, aloing with stringy white poop, I wouldn't rule out Hexamita (HITH). It makes sense If your tank was cycling that you haven't had the best of water quality lately. If your aa is still eating at all, you can try soaking foods pellets in water with Epsom Salts. I don't know if there's an actual dosage, but I just dissolve a bit of salts in a shot glass and let the pellets completely absorb the liquid. Other simple treatments for HITH (in case that's it) are keeping the tank water pristinely clean with daily 50% water changes until the aa gets better. Often, HITH symptoms are reduced/banished with simple clean water. Use your own tap water and add the necessary minerals for African cichlids, WCs are important and transporting water must be a huge PITA!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so let’s use 10 gallons for example I use about 2 teaspoons of brightwell or seachem Malawi buffer and 3/4 teaspoon of cichlids salts from seachem. This gives me about 7 - 9 kh and a little over 20 Gh. I’m wondering if I even need the cichlids salts but I’m not sure what’s in my water for the first almost 200 ppm. I noticed the fish seemed happier with a lower tds but it could have been the cycling too. I went to using the hard water from my dads house sense his cichlids are thriving in it.

I tried soaking the pellets tonight and the 4 best eaters got extra as the others wouldn’t touch it. The white poop has me thinking it’s some sort of parasite. And I just got home and started getting a water change going when I noticed him laying on the bottom.

So I will try the daily water changes with 1/2 tsp cichlids salt and the normal 2 tsp Malawi buffer. Also on Saturday’s my main wc day I add 2 capfuls of cichlid trace to the tank. Should I be adding it to every WC with amount based on size of wc?
    I still think I have something going through my tank as my small kenyi is doing the gulping thing and is kinda unstable. Also I can see a couple small bumps one on the lower lip one on his gill cover.
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    She is still chasing the 2 other small guys so at least she still has some go left in her. I picked up some api general cure and prazi pro to have on hand. Thinking of trying the general cure but not sure I have issues pulling the trigger on meds. Oh and is aquarium salt better to use than like instant ocean or reef crystals when I read about adding one Tbs per gallon witch sounds really high.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    if you dose your entire tank, then additional dosing has to be for the amount of water changed. Follow dosing per manufacturer directions.

Aquarium salt is just salt with other impurities and does not have the right mix of minerals for a salt water tank. Instant Ocean has salt and other minerals that are good for salt water fish.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so I put 4 packets of api general care in this morning. Last night I did a 20 gallon water change (38 gal tank). I think there is about 30 gallons of water in there so I’ll do 10 gallon changes adding one packet of general cure and doing a full stregenth redose Saturday.

I was wondering about the cichlid trace as that says 2 times a week for total water volume. Are the trace minerals used up that fast or are they trying to sell more product? I understand in my softer water tanks not always wanting to add extra minerals from marine salt but with cichlids it seemed like it mite be a good thing.

On another tank I’m trying to use peat pellets to help get the ph down. However even with 1.5 tbs in the hob and 3 tbs just hanging in the tank it. Has no dropped it at all over 48 hours where as in a 20 gallon tank the 1.5 tbs dropped it from 7 to 6.3 in 4 days. The tanks both have a kh of about 3 with eco complete substrate. Do peat pellets wear out or are they like crushed coral and as long as they are still there they should be working.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Mineral gets used up by the fish.

How big is the other tank that is not dropping PH?

Peat pellets do stop lowering PH after a certain amount of time.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It’s a 10 gallon. I mixed up 15 gallons of ro water and I thought it had a ph of 7.05 and I put in 3/4 tsp alkaline buffer and 1/2 tsp acid buffer. This should come out to 6.5 but for me it’s always been about 7. I add the alkaline buffer befor bed then the acid in the morning then check after work. It some times creeps up to mid 7’s but not always. This time it had so I added 1/16 tsp acid buffer waited about 15 min checked it and got 7.05. I have 2 air stones run by a 4 lpm air pump and a 600lph pond pump circulating the water in my aging container. I just started using ro water about 2 months ago so I’m still getting a feel for it. I’ve never had the ph rebound this much befor though.

On the cichlid tank everyone but the kenyi seems to be doing better. Swimming more and generally more active when I come up to the tank. The kenyi however has taken to hanging out behind the filter return after the last wc when I moved the rocks around. I’ll update tomorrow on how he is doing but the daily water changes seem to be a positive even with the adjusted water vs hard tap water.