· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's an angel to start your collection - Slaphppy7   

Default Stocking ideas for a 75 gallon African Cichlid tank

0 Not allowed!
    The thread title basically says it all - I'm starting up a new 75 gallon aquarium, and although I'm not new to aquarium keeping I've never kept African cichlids before (I've had angels and rams but I know that's a completely different ballpark). Anyways, I'm looking for suggestions on stocking - I really know very little about cichlids and although I am doing research it can all be a bit overwhelming as cichlids tend to be referred to using more scientific names and compatibility can be such an issue.

The types of fish I'm AWARE of at least to name are:
    yellow labs
    electric blue haps
    electric blue johannii
    Peacock cichlids

I know that peacocks aren't necessarily compatible - that there are different lakes with different aggression levels - anyways, please help me get a starting idea of what I can be looking at!

Thanks so much! Any advice is appreciative, please just be patient and kind with your responses as I really am a novice in this particular field of aquarium keeping!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I've no experience with cichlids, but will bump your thread to try and get some responses.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

1 Not allowed!
    A 75 is a good size tank for African cichlids, If you just looking for color and lots of activity stick with the mbuna types. The only peacocks that do real well with mbuna are the OB and the blood red dragon which are both man made strains. The yellow labs are good, but stay away from the johanni. You want to stick with the zebras, labs, afras, rusty and the 2 types of peacocks, there are lots of color variations in these fish so you'll have lots of color. I'd recommend that you buy these fish @ 1 to2 inches, because of cost and availability. The trick to a happy African tank is lots of fish, lots of rocks, lots of filter and lots of water changes! A 75 gallon can house up to 30 to 35 adult fish. If you buy them small, I'd start with 40 to 45 fish and let them sort it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images