· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: all gouramis?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

Default all gouramis?

1 Not allowed!
    i'm getting quite an education on this forum, so thank you to everyone who has helped me out.
    During cycling, I have been researching fish that seem compatible with my tank's parameter. (pH, temp, space etc. ). Gouramis seem to be pretty adaptable to pH. Not all, but many. If I wanted to have an all gourami tank, and only with peaceful ones, could the larger ones live with the smaller?
    I'm still thinking, so its just a consideration. I don't plan on stocking everything at once. It sounds like it is safer to add only a couple at a time and allow the aquarium to adapt to what is in there before adding more.

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I have kept pearl and thick-lipped gourami together without issue and I believe you could through honey gourami into the mix as well. If you were going to keep Trichopodus trichopterus (3 spot gourami) or one of the color morphs, you probably couldn't keep any other type of gourami with it because the 3 spot can be very aggressive.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    For me i have kept away from a mixed gourami tank even since i started one up. Dwarfs, honeys, pearls, thick lips.
    Ended in complete failure.

Having learnt from that the more delicate ones like the chocolate gourami and croaking gourami work okay in larger groups. But they are more suited to black water set ups.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    The dwarfs have a tendency to be nippy and aggressive, but I would think the rest you mentioned would be fine together.

Just depends on the numbers and male/female ratios, I would think.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    The dwarfs have a tendency to be nippy and aggressive, but I would think the rest you mentioned would be fine together.

Just depends on the numbers and male/female ratios, I would think.
    I would not call it nippy as such. Violence to teritoral disputed. They are very good at terriotry control. Any other threat they deem a threat will be chased. Similare to the betta genis

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, I see...I've never kept them, so you would know better than me
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    For someone not used to fish, I get a chuckle out of the thought of a fish biting. Baracudas, pirahna and a couple others, but it is a new concept for me. The reason I asked about keeping them together was that I wanted some color in the tank, and though the pearls look great, the blue tones on a couple of the dwarfs is attracting as well. I definetley DON'T want babies. i was hoping in some color variety and didn't think gouramis of different sub-species would mate.

I am getting ph answers up to a point difference depending on the site. Lets say I have pH 8.4 water and the literature says 6.5-8.0, how much stress would be caused the that 0.4 difference in pH. I can find peaceful fish that do well together, but then they have different pH requirements.

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc4 View Post
    For someone not used to fish, I get a chuckle out of the thought of a fish biting. Baracudas, pirahna and a couple others, but it is a new concept for me. The reason I asked about keeping them together was that I wanted some color in the tank, and though the pearls look great, the blue tones on a couple of the dwarfs is attracting as well. I definetley DON'T want babies. i was hoping in some color variety and didn't think gouramis of different sub-species would mate.

I am getting ph answers up to a point difference depending on the site. Lets say I have pH 8.4 water and the literature says 6.5-8.0, how much stress would be caused the that 0.4 difference in pH. I can find peaceful fish that do well together, but then they have different pH requirements.

marc4
    I would be more concerned in what the kh and gh is along with tds. Are you able to measure them??

Trust me all fish have aggression up to a point.
    My 3 month old brichardi fry ar3 happy to give a half grown hap a decent nip if the hap chases them. And we are talking of a 1cm fiah vs 5-6cm.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I would be more concerned in what the kh and gh is along with tds. Are you able to measure them??

Trust me all fish have aggression up to a point.
    My 3 month old brichardi fry ar3 happy to give a half grown hap a decent nip if the hap chases them. And we are talking of a 1cm fiah vs 5-6cm.
    My master kit does not have those. It measures pH, Nitrites, ammonia and Nitrates. I do have strips that measure carbonate, total alkilinity, and general hardness though from what I understand, the strips are not as accurate as the kits. Is this correct?
    ,arc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc4 View Post
    My master kit does not have those. It measures pH, Nitrites, ammonia and Nitrates. I do have strips that measure carbonate, total alkilinity, and general hardness though from what I understand, the strips are not as accurate as the kits. Is this correct?
    ,arc4
    That is correct. Something which i uave always steered away from.

For me i use the gh kh test kit from api.
    And a tds pen which i got from my region of tue world equivalent to ebay and amazon for a couple dollars.