· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    test your tap water for a baseline, the ph test needs to be done 24 hours after the tap water has been sitting in a container

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Ok, I'm probably grasping, and definitely new, but is your kit used? The other thing to check is whether or not you are cleaning your test tubes out all the way. Feel free to correct me, but I think you are supposed to clean the tubes with water from the aquarium and let dry. I'm not sure how much tap water will hang around and skew your results. Lastly, I've had a test change two whole points from when I first mixed it and then at the five minute point.

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Another grasp at a straw...what filter and media are you running in the tank right now, while it sits out back?
    Also, what is the temp of the water?
    Last edited by Silbar; 12-19-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc4 View Post
    Ok, I'm probably grasping, and definitely new, but is your kit used? The other thing to check is whether or not you are cleaning your test tubes out all the way. Feel free to correct me, but I think you are supposed to clean the tubes with water from the aquarium and let dry. I'm not sure how much tap water will hang around and skew your results. Lastly, I've had a test change two whole points from when I first mixed it and then at the five minute point.

marc4
    You should be cleaning the tubes with tap water. The nitrates from tap are generally lower than in the tank. Ideally, the tubes should be cleaned with distilled water and dried with a paper towel to remove any residue inside the tube.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    I have had a hard time with some of the API test kits, especially pH and nitrate, because the adjacent colors on the chart look extremely similar to my eye. But zero still looks like zero. My tanks are all heavily planted, and they all tend to register zero or nearly so for nitrate, even though they are moderately to fully stocked, and the plants are healthy and thriving. I wouldn't dismiss the API test. (I am intrigued to try the Red Sea brand, though, and see if it's easier to read) I'd say if nitrate is reading zero, it's probably because you don't have any free nitrate in the water. Guppies are pretty small and fairly low bioload, so I'd say it's entirely possible that your plants are taking care of it for you. If that's the case, score!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    If you will throw doubt at the API results, you are basically hinting to the OP not to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Agreed.

The API test kit is not the only one out there, and perhaps not the most "precise", but for beginners and intermediate users generally, it's more than accurate enough for successful FW fishkeeping.
    No, you are putting words into my mouth and I would appreciate that you refrain from doing so. I said that the OP wouldn't necessarily detect nitrates in a heavily-planted tank and that the API test results should be taken with a grain of salt as many people (including Rocksor) have gotten inaccurate readings from that test. Nothing I said was untrue or inappropriate. I was commenting directly on the OP's question and you two want to hijack the thread and argue about the kit.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    If you've performed the API test according to the directions with a test kit that's not out of date, it's still a good indicator of nitrate build up in the tank. A precise reading may not be obtainable, but it's still a pretty good indication of when a tank water change to get rid of excess nitrate build is do. If there's hint of brown or red color after following all the instructions, it's probably time for a water change. I think that's the most important thing for a new fish keep to know.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    No, you are putting words into my mouth and I would appreciate that you refrain from doing so. I said that the OP wouldn't necessarily detect nitrates in a heavily-planted tank and that the API test results should be taken with a grain of salt as many people (including Rocksor) have gotten inaccurate readings from that test. Nothing I said was untrue or inappropriate. I was commenting directly on the OP's question and you two want to hijack the thread and argue about the kit.

I got inaccurate readings as a result of human error, and not the inaccuracy of the test. I didn't shake the bottle with enough vigor or duration to distribute the particles properly, hence the reason for it not coming out of the bottle correctly.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    I have had a hard time with some of the API test kits, especially pH and nitrate, because the adjacent colors on the chart look extremely similar to my eye. But zero still looks like zero. My tanks are all heavily planted, and they all tend to register zero or nearly so for nitrate, even though they are moderately to fully stocked, and the plants are healthy and thriving. I wouldn't dismiss the API test. (I am intrigued to try the Red Sea brand, though, and see if it's easier to read) I'd say if nitrate is reading zero, it's probably because you don't have any free nitrate in the water. Guppies are pretty small and fairly low bioload, so I'd say it's entirely possible that your plants are taking care of it for you. If that's the case, score!
    I would have to agree with that. Some of the purples are difficult to tell. The color on the paper is solid, but even with the test tube against a white wall or the white paper next to the color, sometimes I can't tell for sure.

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    This is why I use the online chart, instead of the card that came with the kit

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Downloads.html
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast