· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Sailfin Mollie

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Glad you solved the smelly situation - Slaphppy7   

Default Sailfin Mollie

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all,
    I have one white sailfin Mollie that is probably two to two and one-half inches (tail excluded). He is in a 10 gallon. The tank has cycled as of a few weeks ago. I tested the water before I added six male guppies. The ammonia was 0.5 ppm and the nitrites were zero. I did approximately a 50 % water change before adding the guppies. I've seen no aggression amongst any of the fish. He has been behaving strangely where he rapidly swims vertically almost constantly. I fed him and he briefly stopped but went right back to the same behavior. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    If the ammonia level is not 0, the tank is not cycled.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I'd recommend testing the water again. With Ammonia readings at all it doesn't appear likely that your tank is cycled yet. The behavior maybe due to the water being fouled.

A ten gallon tank is also quite small for a Molly, at least in my opinion. They aren't exceptionally busy fish but they would absolutely appriciate more space to swim than what is provided in a 10.

With the tank size and stocking you're likely going to find you need to do very very large (like 70% or more) water change at a minimum of weekly. It is likely easier to maintain by doing two 50% water changes each week, that's what I do when keeping overstocked tanks. I do much more frequent water changes with volume of the change based on parameters testing every day or every other day when cycling with fish.

Or you can always get a bigger tank and transfer your filter media to the new filter and probably reduce your maintenance quite a bit! :) I'm not saying my word is law, just my experience. As for other reasons for the behavior I just began keeping live bearer fish for my son several months back so I don't have a lot of insight into behavior quirks, and I've not had any mollies just swords and platy for him. But I did find even three platy fish in his ten gallon tank promptly required an upgrade to a 20 gallon as I wasn't willing to put that much time and maintenance into my son's tank. I have other tank projects of my own I preferred to spend the time on. :) FYI his 20 with one adult platy and one adult sword plus 6 juvenile platy (less than 1") gets about a 85-90% water change weekly in order to keep nitrAtes between 20-40 (tests close to 20, and not quite 40 but I use caution due to young fish and anticipation of growth) at the end of the week. Once the juveniles are grown out further they will be donated to the the lfs or moved to other tanks as I am unwilling to maintain all 8 of their adult bioload in the tank.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Glad you solved the smelly situation - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I had a second Molly less than a week ago that died and I didn't do a water change because I found him later, after getting off work. Prior to that the tank was cycled with ammonia at zero, nitrites at zero and nitrates at 20 -40 ppm. Unfortunately I live in a small, upstairs apartment so I am restricted on tank size due to weight and I know my landlord won't budge an inch on this. I also don't understand how I can have some ammonia but no nitrite. I may either need to lighten the bioload and reduce the number of fish or just scrap the idea and tear it down.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    You can have ammonia readings with no trIte reading in a cycled tank when things go awry, like increasing to a bioload that your filtration cannot immediately handle...I imagine that's what happened when you added the guppies

I'd stop adding mollies to this tank, monitor water params daily, and see how the guppies fare
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    You can have ammonia readings with no trIte reading in a cycled tank when things go awry, like increasing to a bioload that your filtration cannot immediately handle...I imagine that's what happened when you added the guppies

I'd stop adding mollies to this tank, monitor water params daily, and see how the guppies fare
    Agree precisely. I misunderstood your first post assuming you had cycled to the 0.5 Ammonia and no nitrIte. Whoops :)

I agree with Slap entirely, if you lose this Molly may be best not to replace and just keep a close eye on your parameters for the next several weeks so that you can iron out an appropriate maintenance schedule to keep everyone happy and healthy.

No need to take down the tank, and the guppies alone are perfectly fine in the tank and in my opinion are at the high end of bioload for a 10 gallon. Keep up on maintenance and the Molly may work out for you also it'll just be a bit more work on your part. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Great advice from the members above.

Your ten gallon -- with these 6 male guppies as the only fish -- would make for a nice tank. If you could possibly re-home the Molly, that would be a nice thing to do for him. You could even consider adding an interesting snail once your parameters settle down (cycle catching up). A pretty mystery snail would be fun to watch.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow