· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Stocking help - 65 gallon mbuna tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone,
    I am looking into starting a 65 gallon mbuna tank. I have been researching how many fish can be placed in the tank and have found a few different answers but I am hoping someone is able to share any experience they have had with the fish I am looking at.

Here are the fish I am hoping to stock:
    Mbunas (even mix of three species):
    Yellow labs
    Red zebras
    1 more, open to suggestions.

Catfish:
    Syno. Petricola

I am wondering if any one has suggestions on how many of each would work or if any one sees issues/problems with the species I have chosen so far.

Additional info:
    The tank will get weekly water changes and I am leaning toward a filter that can be used in tanks up to 90 gallons.

Thanks!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Please let me know too if any additional info is needed to help. Again, I don't have the tank yet, in planning/research stage but I can give more info on what I am planning on getting.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Rocksor knows alot about cichlids, hopefully he'll chime in for you...I've never kept cichlids
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 12-16-2017 at 03:01 AM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

1 Not allowed!
    I would recommend a tank that is at least 48" in length (55gal, 75gal) over the 36" 65gal (more tank length factors into mbuna aggression reduction).

Include lots of rock work to break lines of sight and provide hiding spots (part of the equation to reducing mbuna aggression). You could go with 3 species in gender ratio's of one male per several females per species). I'd probably start with the semi-aggressive (yellow labs, etc) or peaceful (yellow-tail acei) species, and perhaps some rusties.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

0 Not allowed!
    A third type of mbuna could be some type of afra. They would get along with your other choices well. you will have to put about double the filtering on than your planning. A good stocking on that size tank would be 8 of each of the 3 types of fish.(24 total) lots of rocks and weekly water changes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaybee View Post
    I would recommend a tank that is at least 48" in length (55gal, 75gal) over the 36" 65gal (more tank length factors into mbuna aggression reduction).

Include lots of rock work to break lines of sight and provide hiding spots (part of the equation to reducing mbuna aggression). You could go with 3 species in gender ratio's of one male per several females per species). I'd probably start with the semi-aggressive (yellow labs, etc) or peaceful (yellow-tail acei) species, and perhaps some rusties.
    I was looking at a 55 gallon 48” originally but I was also wondering about the width of the tank. The width of a 55 is 13” while the width of the 65 is 18”. I figured it would give me more room to place larger rock work and create caves. Specifically, I was looking at the Aqueon 65 arch but it looks like I may have to revisit my 55 gallon research.

Thanks for the recommendations on fish as well. I have a pretty good fish store that actually labels each of the cichlids rather than just placing them in an assorted tank so I will have to see if they have the ones you mentioned. I know they do have the yellow labs but unsure about the other two.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fissh View Post
    A third type of mbuna could be some type of afra. They would get along with your other choices well. you will have to put about double the filtering on than your planning. A good stocking on that size tank would be 8 of each of the 3 types of fish.(24 total) lots of rocks and weekly water changes.
    Nice, I’ll look into the fish. I am planning on keeping males and females for each of the three with a ratio of at least 2:1. If I wanted to add in the catfish as well, should I decrease the number of each type to 6 or 7 rather than 8? (6 of each of the three Mbuna, and 6 catfish?)

Thanks for the advice on filtration. I was thinking about adding a canister filter in as well, have just started research on that. I wasn’t thrilled with the filter that came with my last tank so looking to find a completely new option for filtration and starting from scratch there.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

1 Not allowed!
    The numbers of mbuna do not require adjustment in relation to the number of catfish added, since mbuna numbers work to counter-balance mbuna aggression. However adding six synodontis catifish will contribute to the bioload of the tank.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

1 Not allowed!
    the cats aren't really needed, unless you have to have them. a multipunctatus cat would be a better choice, it gets larger and is more able to defend it self. I would get the 65 gallon. The filtering I would use on a 65 is 2 sunsun 304B on a 65 gallon, I run 22 of them and am quite happy with they're performance.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/200-Gallon-...-/281134797418

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok cool. Maybe I will pass on the catfish for now then until the Mbuna-only tank is more established. This might be easier too since the Mbuna selection at my store is greater than the cat fish selection.

I did do some additional research on the 55 gallon. I have room for either a 65 gallon or 55 gallon so space isn’t an issue. I’m guessing go down to 6 or 7 of each if I decide to go with the 55?