· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need help

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

Default need help

0 Not allowed!
    I finally received my Master's Test Kit. I have zero ammonia, nitrites were somewhere around 5 and pH 7.6

i'm having trouble finding fish that can deal with a more alkaline water number. I've already decided on getting two pearl gourami, but can't find some smaller fish that tolerate the pH our water has. I know gourami's need to get to the surface for part of its air supply, and like cover overhead in the form of floating plants. I'd like a fish that would be good for the lower portion of the tank.

I'd thought about getting a beta, but since my plants are plastic, I'm afraid the fins would get torn. There are plenty fresh water fish I like, but the majority need a more acidic pH. I do not want babies so guppies are out. For those that haven't seen my couple of posts, I'm working with a forty gallon acrylic tank (36 x16 x15 ), my filter is a whisper 40, my plants are all fake, one third of the length is heavily planted with a patch of grass. I also have small plants in the rest of the of the tank. The substrate is a variant of small, med and large aquarium gravel. I have a stand by pound of black gravel in case the other fish prefer a dark area.

I don't want to crowd the tank, but I don't think one pair of gourami needs the whole tank to themselves. I'd like a small school of smaller fish, but they always seem to have a lower pH than our water. Does anyone have any suggestions?

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

nice loach setup! - James`   Have another Clownloach for your school :) - steeler58   Have another clown loach ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    Don't worry about that Ph it's fine. I have a Ph of 8.2 in my tank and keep almost everything. What fish are you wanting?
    220g Frontosa tank.
    210g monster fish tank.
    125g planted wild altum tank
    55g grow out tank.
    29g quarantine tank.

Video of my 125
    https://youtu.be/-ELr8DgX4BY

Video of my 220.
    https://youtu.be/aqZU9NV-ykQ

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Agree with Luke, a ph of 7.6 will support a wide variety of fish.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I was considering a small school of Celestial Pearl Danio. Their top pH is given at 7.5 and I wasn't sure how closely I had to follow their range. Especially in such a small fish. They are quite a bit smaller than the Pearl Gouramis, but since both species are peaceful, I didn't think Gouramis would go after the Danios. If they can get along and the pH is ok as it sounds like it would be, they would be high on the list. I really like both the neon and cardinal tetras, but that may be pushing it with their neutral pH.

There are more colorful fish, but I like the idea of a school. Since the Gouramis are medium sized, if I want a schooling fish, the Celestial seems like it would be a good size.

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    CPD's are tiny, and tend to be a bit timid...you may not see them much in a tank that size...I had some in a 29G, and rarely saw them, they hid alot among the plants, even though they were with other peaceful fish

They may be more visible in a very large group, 30 or 40 of them, but they are kind of pricey.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 12-13-2017 at 02:55 PM.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

3 Not allowed!
    harlequin rasbora, get like 20+ of them. They are also from Thailand like the gourami.

If you want bottom feeders, skunk botia and dwarf chain loaches exists in Thailand as well. I think whistling badger mentioned that the magic number for active dwarf chain loaches was at least 9.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 12-13-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    harlequin rasbora, get like 20+ of them. They are also from Thailand like the gourami.
    This is a classic combo that really is beautiful. It's simple and both species are hardy when healthy.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Let the tank mature a bit and add some sponges or guards on the filter intakes for some Neocaridina shrimp (red cherry).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    They seem to be nice looking fish. I like the idea of a large school. There is something about the way a school move as one unit. Aquarium stores have them in an acidic pH. They don't live with the fish, so if alkaline water will be ok for them, I tend to trust this forum.

You read my mind on the shrimp. If you hadn't brought it up, I would have. That combination would give each species a layer of the tank. Gouramis at the top, Rosbora the center and a bottom feeder.

Will a forty gallon support two Gourami, ten or fifteen Rosboras and a bottom feeder? There isn't enough of an opening for two Whisper forty filters. There is about 3/4 of a forty's size. I can put a second smaller filter next to the forty.

I appreciate all of your help. Maybe In time I can give some advice back instead of just getting it.
    Does anyone know where I can order a large number of the rosboras? I've been looking at aqualive that gives profiles on their fish, but I get the impression they don't keep large numbers of each specie. when you order a fish, you literally get the one in the picture they post.

we have an aquarium in town, but I'm disabled and getting around is hard. Do any of you either use or know a store that will deliver fish overnight?

Thanks again,
    marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    A 40G will easily support the stocking you have in mind, but I would still try to find a way to add more filtration.

Does the tank have a canopy, or a glass lid?...you could always add a canister filter, if space is an issue

Many of us order fish from here, great selection and quality...shipping can be pricey, depending on where you live, but it's worth it IMO for those who don't have a nice fish store nearby

http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/