· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: need help

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc4 View Post
    They seem to be nice looking fish. I like the idea of a large school. There is something about the way a school move as one unit. Aquarium stores have them in an acidic pH. They don't live with the fish, so if alkaline water will be ok for them, I tend to trust this forum.

You read my mind on the shrimp. If you hadn't brought it up, I would have. That combination would give each species a layer of the tank. Gouramis at the top, Rosbora the center and a bottom feeder.

Will a forty gallon support two Gourami, ten or fifteen Rosboras and a bottom feeder? There isn't enough of an opening for two Whisper forty filters. There is about 3/4 of a forty's size. I can put a second smaller filter next to the forty.

I appreciate all of your help. Maybe In time I can give some advice back instead of just getting it.
    Does anyone know where I can order a large number of the rosboras? I've been looking at aqualive that gives profiles on their fish, but I get the impression they don't keep large numbers of each specie. when you order a fish, you literally get the one in the picture they post.

we have an aquarium in town, but I'm disabled and getting around is hard. Do any of you either use or know a store that will deliver fish overnight?

Thanks again,
    marc4

Which state do you live in?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Yes, the dimension of the tank is adequate for the stock your considering. I would supplement the Whisper 40 with another Hang On Back filter, possibly one of the AquaClear filters or something similar. You have several options for additional filtration. This community is here to help others starting in the hobby and where you take it is up to you.There are several on line vendors and I've linked to a couple of the best below. Shipping is not cheap unfortunately.

http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/

http://msjinkzd.com/

Let us know if you have additional question as I'm sure you will and probably should.

Well heck, aren't I slow this morning! http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...-heteromorpha/
    Last edited by Taurus; 12-14-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    My aquarium lid does not come off. There are two openings in the back, one for the filter and one circular one to put cords through. In the center of the top, there are also two large square cut outs for lights.

I may be doomed to keeping plastic fish. To be thorough, I used the high pH range test and it turns out that my water is closer to 8.4. The regular test had put it at 7.6 because that was as high as the regular solution would go. Is that going to support any fish? I am discouraged. Back to the drawing board. I really don't want to add chemicals to the water to get the pH down.

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    i am in Indiana in the Lafayette area. I've had some dealings with the local aquarium specialty shop, but just to buy lights for my bearded dragon.

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    i am in Indiana in the Lafayette area. I've had some dealings with the local aquarium specialty shop, but just to buy lights for my bearded dragon.

marc4

I've heard thatpetplace is decent, and it is in Pennsylvania so overnight can be cheaper than wetspot

http://www.thatpetplace.com/aquarium-livestock

I think that fish from liveaquaria is shipped from Wisconsin, so oernight from there should be cheaper as well.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/category/830/freshwater-fish
    Last edited by Rocksor; 12-15-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    My aquarium lid does not come off. There are two openings in the back, one for the filter and one circular one to put cords through. In the center of the top, there are also two large square cut outs for lights.

I may be doomed to keeping plastic fish. To be thorough, I used the high pH range test and it turns out that my water is closer to 8.4. The regular test had put it at 7.6 because that was as high as the regular solution would go. Is that going to support any fish? I am discouraged. Back to the drawing board. I really don't want to add chemicals to the water to get the pH down.

marc4
    I've never seen a tank where the lid does not come off...can you post a pic here?

Rocksor should be able to help with your ph questions
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I don't know if my laptop has a computer. I'll ask the computer person in the house when he gets home. I can tell you where to go to see a picture of the aquarium as sold. Picture looking down from above the tank. The top is acrylic and a permanent part of the tank. In the left rear or the top is a round hole about the circumference of an empty toilet paper roll for cords to come of. In the center of the rear, an oval opening the length of one and three quarters whisper forty filters. In the very center of the top, two large rectangular openings separated by an acrylic bar in the middle. The original light fixture was made to be seated in those two openings.

get on amazon.com and search for seaclear forty gallon acrylic aquarium combo set. Use the zoom in to get a better look. The fixture looks like it will lift up but remain part of the tank, but it doesn't. It was pricey and kind of ate my savings, but I didn't want broken glass or the extra weight a traditional glass aquarium has.

I looked back at the pearl gouramis and by the description, I don't think they will have trouble with the higher pH I found doing the second high pH test in the master kit. I'm not sure about the others.

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I see it here, but only one pic, from the front

https://www.amazon.com/SeaClear-Acry.../dp/B000634GYC
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I finally received my Master's Test Kit. I have zero ammonia, nitrites were somewhere around 5 and pH 7.6

marc4
    If your nitrites are somewhere around 5, your tank isn't cycled yet. Those trites have to fall to zero, then nitrAtes have to rise and fall to within the safe level (no more than 20ppm) before you even consider getting more fish. As for the 7.6 pH, that's tolerable for most fish. When you start getting into 8.0 and above, then alkalinity might become a problem for some species. But if it stays in the 7s, that's not bad. Most aquarium fish can handle that easily.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I've never seen a tank where the lid does not come off...can you post a pic here?
    the lights are the lids for the top