· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pea Puffers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

Default Pea Puffers

1 Not allowed!
    So I have this 20 gallon tank with nothing in it but two khuli loaches. I'm wanting to stock it with pea puffers. This tank is overrun with MTS. The staple diet of the puffers is snails so I'm thinking I shouldn't have to feed these guys for a while. My concern is, is there too much food in the tank? Will they just eat till they explode? At the bare minimum I should have the fattest little puffers around.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Nat (Boundava) keeps puffers, and if I'm not mistaken, she said they don't mess with the MTS, unfortunately
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    Yea, first pea puffers are very territorial, unless your tank is densely planted having a bunch will ultimately = 1 in the long, or short run.

Assassin snails would be your best troops when attacking mts. The puffers don't know when to stop when eating, and will eat themselves to death if given a chance. So if you tank is as overrun as you say-it may lead to the puffer not knowing when to say no to the 24/7 buffet, so yes it will eat till it pops, silly fish!

My Sister's puffer prefers ramshorn and pond to mts, which it never seemed like she touched-though she liked the two assassins we put in the tank-probably cause they have a bigger opening to get sucked out of. Pea puffers don't crack the snail shells like other puffers, they prefer to slurp their snails. She loves white worms too, and baby earthworms. Diva is a one tank fish-we tried a male and he disappeared one day, never to be found. Besides Diva and some snails there were some cull Neo shrimp and amano shrimp in her prior 10 gallon tank.

Her current home is a 17 gallon tub that is filled with 80% of the plants from my 75 gallon tank. She loves it.

Whenever we get this damn basement done, Diva will get a 15 gallon to herself, and I will get myself one of these little puppies for myself. they are so much fun to interact with. Very personable and inquisitive.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Yea, first pea puffers are very territorial, unless your tank is densely planted having a bunch will ultimately = 1 in the long, or short run.

Assassin snails would be your best troops when attacking mts. The puffers don't know when to stop when eating, and will eat themselves to death if given a chance. So if you tank is as overrun as you say-it may lead to the puffer not knowing when to say no to the 24/7 buffet, so yes it will eat till it pops, silly fish!

My Sister's puffer prefers ramshorn and pond to mts, which it never seemed like she touched-though she liked the two assassins we put in the tank-probably cause they have a bigger opening to get sucked out of. Pea puffers don't crack the snail shells like other puffers, they prefer to slurp their snails. She loves white worms too, and baby earthworms. Diva is a one tank fish-we tried a male and he disappeared one day, never to be found. Besides Diva and some snails there were some cull Neo shrimp and amano shrimp in her prior 10 gallon tank.

Her current home is a 17 gallon tub that is filled with 80% of the plants from my 75 gallon tank. She loves it.

Whenever we get this damn basement done, Diva will get a 15 gallon to herself, and I will get myself one of these little puppies for myself. they are so much fun to interact with. Very personable and inquisitive.
    DANG IT! I don't care about the MTS, not really trying to get rid of them, I just wanted pea puffers cause I wanted pea puffers. But this is what I feared. Didn't want them eating themselves to death. Obviously they may not like the taste of MTSs but I don't want to roll the dice on that and they end up eating too much. I may need to get assassin snails in order to thin the heard so I can then later on get pea puffers. As for my tank here is a pic of it. Let me know if you think it is planted enough or needs more.

IMG_3857_zps55k8prha.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Looking at that picture you can also get an idea of my MTS situation lol.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I see "a few", lol

Puffers are so neat, wish I could accommodate a few

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Yeah, I see "a few", lol

Puffers are so neat, wish I could accommodate a few
    I guess I could get a bunch of assassin snails and in about ten years get some puffers.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first puffer fish! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the cycle! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Shrimpies sure are fun to keep - Slaphppy7   For luck with the betta situation - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post

Wow, how interesting! I'm in the process of deciding what to put in my new 15g tank and have been reading up on pea puffers since Compass made the suggestion.
    How often do you feed them?
    I found the following article about how to let them 'self-feed': https://www.aquariacentral.com/forum...chnique.94515/
    What are your thoughts on it?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    I guess I could get a bunch of assassin snails and in about ten years get some puffers.
    Or, just set up another tank...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Or, just set up another tank...
    Yeah.... that would be grounds for divorce. XD