· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first puffer fish! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the cycle! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Shrimpies sure are fun to keep - Slaphppy7   For luck with the betta situation - Slaphppy7   

Default 15g pea puffer pad

1 Not allowed!
    On Thursday I started cycling a 15g aquarium in preparation for some pea puffers. I still have a few final details to sort out but until the tank is cycled, I have time.
    In the meantime, this is what I am starting off with:

15g freshwater planted tank
    • Aquarium start date: 7/12/2017
    • lighting: Tecatlantis Daylight Eco 11W
    • filter: Mini Biobox 2 (310l)
    • substrate: -
    • water testing kit: - (hopefully will get both of these today)

Flora
    • Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae
    • Echidorus bleheri
    • ...many more to come

Fauna
    None yet!

My doubts
    - I have a bubbler in there right now for cycling purposes. Once I add the puffers, will they benefit from it or shall I remove it? I'm more than happy to leave it in if it does them any good, but electricity is expensive where I live and I don't want to have it running if it doesn't make a difference.
    - Best parasite/worm treatments once they arrive? How should I apply them?
    - How many dwarf puffers can I get away with keeping in the tank? By the time they get added, the tank will be heavily planted. I was hoping to start with 4 or 5.
    - Otos. To add, or not to add? I will gladly pass on the otos if it means getting to add one or 2 more puffers.
    - Your recommendations for the most basic snail breeding setup on the side?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    I'm excited to see where this goes! Are you cycling your tank with an ammonia source? I would certainly add as many different kinds of plants to this tank as one can. Plants of different shapes and style for the puffers to explore. So I would look into some cryptocoryne undulate, wendtii, maybe even balansea if you don't mind them covering the top. Get some hard scapes in there and put some Anubis on them, maybe some java or Christmas fern. As for the Otos, my personal feeling is those guys would do better in a tank Thank that is more established. So although they would work, I'd wait till the tank matures.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first puffer fish! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the cycle! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Shrimpies sure are fun to keep - Slaphppy7   For luck with the betta situation - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    I'm excited to see where this goes! Are you cycling your tank with an ammonia source? I would certainly add as many different kinds of plants to this tank as one can. Plants of different shapes and style for the puffers to explore. So I would look into some cryptocoryne undulate, wendtii, maybe even balansea if you don't mind them covering the top. Get some hard scapes in there and put some Anubis on them, maybe some java or Christmas fern. As for the Otos, my personal feeling is those guys would do better in a tank Thank that is more established. So although they would work, I'd wait till the tank matures.
    Thanks for your support
    I want to cycle with an ammonia source but all the ammonia I've found so far (checked 2 supermarkets and a DYI store) has been perfumed... I will check a few more stores on Monday.

I just got back from the pet store, but yesterday and Wednesday were national holidays + christmas coming up. They had run out of the substrate that I needed and test kits too, so I'm just going to order a test kit with amazon prime instead and wait on the substrate. What is thetest kit with the best price-quality ratio (aka please dont break my wallet) that I should get?

On a brighter note! Despite not having acquired what I actually needed, I did go ahead and buy a Microsorum minor plant and a beautiful mangrove root which I now have soaking in some treated water (it sank right to the bottom, how long should I wait until I can put it in my aquarium?). I also asked the shop guy for some of their substrate for an added kick of BB and he looked at me like I had been inhaling fish products for fun, but he agreed to give me some with the plant. It came from a massive tank which had several small healthy looking fish in it, and one black moor goldfish with a clear case of fin rot. Hopefully this will help with the cycling.

Should I be concerned about the fin rot germs spreading into my aquarium? I'm not an expert on the science of fin rot, despite having had to treat it a few times...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    The API Freshwater Master test kit has everything you need to monitor a tank that is cycling and for months to come:
    https://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATE...aster+test+kit

I don't know where you live but in the states we have Ace Hardware stores that sell the ammonia without any additives.

You might also need a heater.
    Last edited by Silbar; 12-09-2017 at 03:30 PM.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silbar View Post
    The API Freshwater Master test kit has everything you need to monitor a tank that is cycling and for months to come:
    https://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATE...aster+test+kit

I don't know where you live but in the states we have Ace Hardware stores that sell the ammonia without any additives.

You might also need a heater.
    Hi! I already have a heater, forgot to include that in my list of equipment... oops hahaha.
    I live in Spain, where it is unthinkable to use an unperfumed cleaning product /s

That kit looks great, but it's so pricey!
    What do you think of this kit: https://www.amazon.es/ICA-Multi-Test...8R93HZWB2NNN2J

It's much easier on the wallet and seems to have good reviews.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @Silbar
    sorry, I sent you a spanish link without thinking. Here's the same product on sale in the UK, with equally positive reviews!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NT-Labs-Aqu...eywords=NTlabs

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I've never heard of that test kit before, most of us here use the API, but from the description and a brief glimpse of the reviews, seems like it may be just fine...how many pounds does the API cost?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I've never heard of that test kit before, most of us here use the API, but from the description and a brief glimpse of the reviews, seems like it may be just fine...how many pounds does the API cost?
    I live in Spain so I'd be getting it in euros, but API costs around 60 euros whereas the NTlabs kit costs 30. I ended up ordering it, so I will test it out and let y'all know if it's a viable alternative to API for those of us who have more limited budgets

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    I don't think the aquarium gravel is going to help you. Only because you don't have a source of ammonia. Yes the gravel may have some bacteria, but without something to eat (ammonia) it'll just die instead of help cycling the tank. Also I do think the risk of disease could be an issue.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Certainly can't hurt to give it a try, from what I've seen here on the forums the API can be a bit difficult to find in Europe for some fishkeepers, this may be a good alternative, thanks for sharing
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers