· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    A nice write-up on keeping DPP's from TFH magazine:

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...e-surprise.htm
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first puffer fish! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the cycle! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Shrimpies sure are fun to keep - Slaphppy7   For luck with the betta situation - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    I don't think the aquarium gravel is going to help you. Only because you don't have a source of ammonia. Yes the gravel may have some bacteria, but without something to eat (ammonia) it'll just die instead of help cycling the tank. Also I do think the risk of disease could be an issue.
    For the time being I've been subbing the pure ammonia by dropping little bits of fish food in the tank to decompose. In the meantime, my search for proper ammonia continues!

I will be sure to treat my water for fin rot before adding the puffers just to be sure.
    Last edited by bubblaroo; 12-09-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    https://www.amazon.com/DrTims-Aquati.../dp/B006MP4QG6

Some of the members here have used this successfully

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first puffer fish! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the cycle! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Shrimpies sure are fun to keep - Slaphppy7   For luck with the betta situation - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/DrTims-Aquati.../dp/B006MP4QG6

Some of the members here have used this successfully
    Seems like a great product, but in the UK and Spain alike the price SPIKES!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/DrTims-Aqua...onium+chloride

But it does give me an idea. Monday morning I will go to my local drugstore and pharmacy and ask if they have a similar product to this. It seems to be used as a diuretic quite often, so I might get lucky.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Just make sure it is pure ammonium chloride + water, and no other ingredients.

Man, fish stuff is pricey over there, lol...I buy ALL of my fish supplies online, even the fish themselves...much cheaper than the stores around here...really, the only thing I buy locally is the actual glass tanks

Will you be able to source the puffers locally?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Just make sure it is pure ammonium chloride + water, and no other ingredients.

Man, fish stuff is pricey over there, lol...I buy ALL of my fish supplies online, even the fish themselves...much cheaper than the stores around here...really, the only thing I buy locally is the actual glass tanks

Will you be able to source the puffers locally?
    I'll check the ingredients carefully (:
    I know! And usually the USA is so much more expensive in terms of everything else.

For sourcing, I have a few options. My usual pet store has them available for order on their database, but they need to double-check with their carrier to make sure that they're actually in stock. Alternatively, I have found 2 places in Madrid that sell and ship them, and it's only a 2-3 hour drive to where I live so the shipping would be viable without harming the fish too much.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Heck, you could drive and pick them up yourself, and save the shipping fee....unless the gasoline (or petrol) cost would be more than the shipping....make a "day trip" out of it.

I have fish shipped all the way from Portland, Oregon to Southeast Texas, and they survive the trip just fine...it's not cheap though, usually around $55 USD...that's for "overnight" shipping, you must use that to get a refund if any don't make it alive to your home.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Heck, you could drive and pick them up yourself, and save the shipping fee....unless the gasoline (or petrol) cost would be more than the shipping....make a "day trip" out of it.

I have fish shipped all the way from Portland, Oregon to Southeast Texas, and they survive the trip just fine...it's not cheap though, usually around $55 USD...that's for "overnight" shipping, you must use that to get a refund if any don't make it alive to your home.
    I would love to do a day trip, but I work on weekdays in the afternoons and the shop is only open until 2 on Saturdays! Plus the shipping would cost me roughly the same amount as the gas. It's 16 euro for standard shipping (takes 1-2 days to arrive) or 26 euros for saturday morning delivery with overnight shipping on the Friday. Not too bad (;

edit: i just realised the highway toll itself would cost 14 euros 1-way. That's my budget balanced right there!
    Last edited by bubblaroo; 12-09-2017 at 05:14 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Shipping sounds like your best option, then.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So the universe has sent 10 baby planorbis and 10 baby bladder snails my way. I will go pick them up tomorrow Should I put them straight into the main tank and cull them before the puffers arrive, or is it unwise to do it while cycling?

I have a second tank (around 5g) of treated water where I'm currently soaking some hardscape where I can put the snails as well, so that's another option.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast