· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first puffer fish! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the cycle! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Shrimpies sure are fun to keep - Slaphppy7   For luck with the betta situation - Slaphppy7   

Question Too many choices!!

0 Not allowed!
    I am in the process of cycling a freshwater aquarium after a long time of not having fish. It's exciting, but I don't yet know what to put in the tank! I am really struggling to make a decision. I would love to get a pair of fancy goldfish but with a tank that size I know it's a poor idea, so I'm looking into creating a planted community instead.

Can you help me decide how to populate my tank? Since I can't get fancy goldfish, I would love an alternative that satisfies my desire for something flowy and colourful or calico. I am also considering gobies, angelfish, or corydoras, maybe... BUT WHAT SORT?!
    I am generally not a fan of guppies, tetras, and platies.

In terms of difficulty, I would consider myself pre-intermediate but also a fast learner and willing to put the time and work into meeting the fish's needs.

Here are my aquarium parameters
    • 55L (15g)
    • 55 x 30 x 34,8 cm (22 x 16 x 8 inches, roughly)
    • filter: Mini Biobox 2
    • can be warmwater or coldwater, no problem
    • planted
    Last edited by bubblaroo; 12-07-2017 at 10:13 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first puffer fish! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the cycle! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Shrimpies sure are fun to keep - Slaphppy7   For luck with the betta situation - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I also really dig the idea of a freshwater pufferfish but I don't know if that's a little ambitious

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Hello and welcome to the forum. You are making the right call on the goldfish. A 15 gallon is a bit limiting. I would not put angels in there as they will need to be put in a 55 gallon at some point. Flowy and colorful, the first thing to come to mind is a beta. I know that sounds super common, but you can find very nice specimens online that you would normally not see in a pet store. Also, if you have never kept a beta in a larger tank you will find they have great personalities and really do a lot more then when kept in a bowl. The downside is this would also limit what you can put in the take as they can be aggressive.

As for the puffers, I just made a post called Pea Puffers in this subforum, check it out as one of our members made a nice write up in there for me on puffers.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Compass!
    I have considered the beta fish. If I ended up going down that route, I really wanted to take the jump and attempt to have 2-3 females cohabiting with one male. I know it's a risky one, but that with enough tank-space aggression can be avoided. Do you think 15 gallons is viable for this plan?
    I've had betas in the past and do love them, but I was looking for something new and different this time. However, my local petstore has a beautiful white male that I've had my eye on...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bubblaroo View Post
    Thanks Compass!
    I have considered the beta fish. If I ended up going down that route, I really wanted to take the jump and attempt to have 2-3 females cohabiting with one male. I know it's a risky one, but that with enough tank-space aggression can be avoided. Do you think 15 gallons is viable for this plan?
    I've had betas in the past and do love them, but I was looking for something new and different this time. However, my local petstore has a beautiful white male that I've had my eye on...
    On this matter I don't know. I had a very nice jet black male in a ten gallon, but I never put him with females so I don't know how that will go. I'll leave that to someone else. You might also look into some of the smaller gouramis for a nice look. Dwarf gourami or even a thick lip. Maybe.. MAYBE a pearl gourami. I've been out of the game for a bit so my knowledge of what fish can fit where is a bit fuzzy. As is my knowledge of types of fish in general hahaha so I'm still trying to come up with more that would fit the bill.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.