· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishyoutuber View Post
    I am using the API Freshwater Master Kit to test the tank, and the tank has been set up for over a year. I do weekly 25% water changes on the tank, and I did cycle the tank in the beginning.
    Good for you on doing weekly WCs. I think because you have a high bioload stock in a small tank you will probably need to do a 50-60% weekly WC to help keep the ammonia and nitrItes at zero and nitrates low. Something upset the tank's "cycle" causing a mini-cycle but frequent WCs should help get it back on track. Good luck.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a plan, good luck!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    With that bio-load, chances are you are under-filtered, I would add more biological filtration. If you had enough filtration on a fully cycled tank, you would never see ammonia and nitrite above 0ppm.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Additional filtration certainly can't hurt, I've never used those biowheels, so not sure how big of a tank the one you have is rated for.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Do you dispose of and replace cartridges on this filter? If so, that can be a cause of a mini-cycle starting as you're throwing away a lot of beneficial bacteria. The bio-wheel will, however, contain a good bit of this good bacteria so things haven't yet gone completely bad. But given the size of the stocking, you'll need all the beneficial bacteria you can grow.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks  for the friend request - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    I do change the filter once a month, however when I do this I always soak the new filter in some water from the tank along side the new filter so that the bacteria can transfer to the new filter. I let them sit for 24 hrs when I do this. When I do the water changes, I add some Fluval Cycle: Concentrated Biological Booster to the tank.
    Last edited by fishyoutuber; 12-05-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Don't change the media in the filters unless it is falling apart, you are losing BB (beneficial bacteria) by doing this.

Filter manufacturers and retailers may tell you to change out the media just so that they can sell you more.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Got it, no more changing of the filter unless it is falling apart.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Additional filtration certainly can't hurt, I've never used those biowheels, so not sure how big of a tank the one you have is rated for.
    I'm guessing that he has the 10g model (Penguin 75). He should at least have a filter rated for a 20g.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The filter that I have on the tank is rated for a 20 gallon tank. was thinking of upgrading it to one rated for a 30 gallon tank.