· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks  for the friend request - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Ooops, my head's been a bit foggy, platies don't NEED salt!
    The proper salinity level is to protect the fish from nitrite poisoning. Sorry if it came across another way. I meant...platies tolerate salt well, so there is no worry using salt to protect from nitrate poisoning. The salt is a temporary thing while your nitrites disappear. Rocksor said 1 teaspoon everyday to protect from nitrite poisoning. Do you still detect nitrites?
    tested the water today. no nitrites were detected in the water.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Did a 50% water change to alleviate the salinity of the water. Checked the levels an hour afterwards and they are still sitting at optimal levels within the tank.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    all water parameters have plateaued within my tank. no changes in the levels since my last posting.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm happy things are settling down :) Keep up with the great work! Sorry to be reduntant, but how many WCs do you typically do and how much water is exchanged each time?
    How's the baby doing? Did you find any others? How are all the fish doing now?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I'm happy things are settling down :) Keep up with the great work! Sorry to be reduntant, but how many WCs do you typically do and how much water is exchanged each time?
    How's the baby doing? Did you find any others? How are all the fish doing now?
    Baby is doing great, still no color yet. As far as it goes on doing water changes I used to do 10-25% water changes a week, but I know now that I had really messed up by changing out the filter. Now I am keeping an eye on the levels of Nitrites and Ammonia in the tank and when I see them starting to make an appearance then I do the water change but no more than a 10-25% water change.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I'm glad the baby is doing well :) Can I ask why you only change out 10-25%? I usually aim for 50% weekly for every tank. Changing out water won't mess up your filtration, very little beneficial bacteria grows in the actual water. It likes to grow on porous surfaces in your filter, which is where the majority lives. That's why it's not a good idea to mess with the filtration when your tank is so new.

You should never see ammonia or nitrite again unless you accidentally set off a mini cycle. In your case, you lost too much beneficial bacteria changing the filter. An established, cycled tank will only register nitrAtes. When you see 20ppm nitrate, do a water change. I change water out every week no matter what my readings are.
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm glad the baby is doing well :) Can I ask why you only change out 10-25%? I usually aim for 50% weekly for every tank. Changing out water won't mess up your filtration, very little beneficial bacteria grows in the actual water. It likes to grow on porous surfaces in your filter, which is where the majority lives. That's why it's not a good idea to mess with the filtration when your tank is so new.

You should never see ammonia or nitrite again unless you accidentally set off a mini cycle. In your case, you lost too much beneficial bacteria changing the filter. An established, cycled tank will only register nitrAtes. When you see 20ppm nitrate, do a water change. I change water out every week no matter what my readings are.
    The whole reason that I only do a 10-25% water change is because it is keeping everything in check in the ecosystem that I have set up for them. Going to start trying a new food source for the fish. Going to blanch some cucumber for them and see if they eat it. Also, I am currently not having any problems with algae in my tank.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Trying a new treat for the fish today. Blanched some cucumber and dropped it in the tank. They are kinda curious about it. the platy has been pecking at it.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    While sitting and looking at my tank today, I found a new snail in there that I have not seen before. I am thinking that it may have been a hitch hiker on the driftwood that I had gotten for my tank a while ago.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishyoutuber View Post
    While sitting and looking at my tank today, I found a new snail in there that I have not seen before. I am thinking that it may have been a hitch hiker on the driftwood that I had gotten for my tank a while ago.
    Do you know what type of snail it is? If not, gotta pic?
    -Kat

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast