· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Default Raphael catfish reclusive

0 Not allowed!
    I bought a spotted Raphael catfish about 4 months ago and have only seen him 3 times and that was when I first got him. He hides in the wood and I haven't seen him come out in months. Any thoughts? You can see in the pick there's a dark spot on the big wood, there is a small cave there.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

0 Not allowed!
    That is normal since they are nocturnal, and do not like bright light. You might see them come out for feeding.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    I'm wondering if you might be able to make him feel more comfortable with additional cover and lowered lights. Perhaps inverted fake plants - with stem hooked over the tank rim - to simulate floating/higher plant cover?
    Just a thought. I hope you are able to coax him out for occasional glimpses. Even if it might only be when you are across the room.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    That is normal since they are nocturnal, and do not like bright light. You might see them come out for feeding.
    Thanks for the reply. I figured that was the reason. I look In his cave occasionally just to make sure he's still alive and he is and just as fat as he always was.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    I'm wondering if you might be able to make him feel more comfortable with additional cover and lowered lights. Perhaps inverted fake plants - with stem hooked over the tank rim - to simulate floating/higher plant cover?
    Just a thought. I hope you are able to coax him out for occasional glimpses. Even if it might only be when you are across the room.
    I have LED lighting but I don't keep them on a high setting and I think he's comfortable and happy in his cave. I check on him sometimes and he's still fat and moving around in there. I'm hoping when he gets bigger he will find another cave since I have a bunch of caves everywhere in that tank.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry for the loss. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I have one of these characters in a 38 gallon planted aquarium. It has wood, rocks and other places to hide.

I have best luck feeding it when I am going to bed. They do not seem to like much light at all. If you have access to a red light, you will mostly like be able to observe this guy without scaring it away.

The seem to like to burrow into sand also.

These fellows can get to be pretty good sized. Apparently 9" I the wild. Everything I can find says that in an aquarium, 7 1/2" is about max. If mine continues to grow I will move it to my 125 gallon.

I understand that we should not use a net to capture them. Only a glass or jar as she have long sharp spines. These are not poisonous but can inflict painful holes.
    125 gallon FW community, 38 gallon FW community, 10 gallon FW Mollies, 10 gallon isolation, 2.6 gallon Betta, 1.5 gallon FW shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by luvnmyfinnyfriends View Post
    I have one of these characters in a 38 gallon planted aquarium. It has wood, rocks and other places to hide.

I have best luck feeding it when I am going to bed. They do not seem to like much light at all. If you have access to a red light, you will mostly like be able to observe this guy without scaring it away.

The seem to like to burrow into sand also.

These fellows can get to be pretty good sized. Apparently 9" I the wild. Everything I can find says that in an aquarium, 7 1/2" is about max. If mine continues to grow I will move it to my 125 gallon.

I understand that we should not use a net to capture them. Only a glass or jar as she have long sharp spines. These are not poisonous but can inflict painful holes.
    That's cool man. Mine is still in his wood hole and I still check on him and he's still fat and moving around in there so I just leave him alone.