· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Everything has died except one

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so my dad has a 15 gallon tank that has been running for 10+ years. For the past year or so there have been no deaths. Then we added 3 small cherry barbs and over the next 2 weeks he has lost 2 lemon tetras they developed massive ick first then died after 24 hours of noticing it and 5 days after the barbs were added. Then over the next 5 days 2 corries a royal pleco about 3 inches long the 3 barbs and one of 2 rasboras have died none showing ick. I went over last night and the parameters were temp 70 ph 8.2 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 0-5 kh 16 Gh 18. I also tested his tap water it is ph 8.2 kh 15 Gh 17. He has never altered the chemistry other than conditioner and that was only started about 2 months ago he was letting the water sit out for 2 weeks and not having any issues. Sense the start of conditioner he says his yo-yo loach is more active in a different tank. Other than that no changes. I got some long fin cherry barbs from the same lfs a few days prior and have had no losses at my house. Iím wondering if we need to totally sterilize the rank or what do we do befor adding new fish. He is switching to Shellieís in the tank similis to be exact. They are a better fit for his water. I found them from a high quality breeder and they are 20 bucks a pop so I donít want to kill them off by adding them to a toxic tank. Iím at a loss as what to do. I donít want re cycle the tank but donít know whatís killling everything. Would dosing the tank with paraguard then doing a 90-95 percentage water change befor adding the Shellieís be enough?? I want to be on the safe side

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    If it was me, I'd strip and sterilize the tank since you don't know the exact cause of the deaths. Cycling the tank after cleaning it out won't be an issue as you stated you and your father already have other healthy tanks running. Cycling the new tank is as simple as taking some filter media from the established tanks and putting it into your new/clean filter in this tank once you want it back up and running.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    ich will not live without a host, so for 1 week dose the tank with ammonia of up to 2ppm everyday to keep the cycle. You can increase the temperature of the tank to 90F, and add salt at 1tablespoon per gallon to further reduce any chance of the ich surviving. You can even add paraguard if you already have it.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 11-28-2017 at 01:43 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    ich will not live without a host, so for 1 week dose the tank with ammonia of up to 2ppm everyday to keep the cycle. You can increase the temperature of the tank to 90F, and add salt at 1tablespoon per gallon to further reduce any chance of the ich surviving. You can even add paraguard if you already have it.
    The vast majority of the fish that died did not show any signs of ich, according to the OP, including the new additions. Why risk some other disease or possibly chemicals killing the livestock again?

OP, clean the tank. Put established media back in and be done with it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    the new additions had ich, how else would have it been introduced into the aquarium that was fine for a year prior to the new additions? Ich can occur under the gill cover and be small enough not be seen.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Several possibilities, ich was brought in by the new fishes or the fishes in the tank was weakened by whatever the new fishes brought and caused the incubated ich to break loose and infect them.

Ich is a parasite and will die if the tank is left fallow, which Rocksor has suggested to keep the cycle going. However, if it was bacterial or virus that caused the deaths and ich was just a byproduct of a weakened immune system, then I'd nuke the entire tank and start over. A tank can either be completely free of the parasite ich and that's great but there's also a possibility that the fishes became immune to it and strong enough to fend it off if they're not weakened.

If you have several tanks lying around, you really should be QT'ing your fishes and not just adding it to the main tank.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    the new additions had ich, how else would have it been introduced into the aquarium that was fine for a year prior to the new additions? Ich can occur under the gill cover and be small enough not be seen.
    You're assuming that just because the new fish brought ich into the tank that they didn't bring anything else with them. I'm suggesting that, due to the lack of any visible signs of ich in most of the deceased, the OP should consider the possibility that something else in addition to the ich parasite was brought into the tank. With other running tanks that have established media on hand to instantly cycle any new projects, ignoring this possibility in order to simply retain a cycle and restock a tank of death is reckless and unnecessary. Unless the OP or father has some sentimental attachment to how the tank is currently set up, why not just use this bad turn of events to clean up the tank and start fresh?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Since he's switching to shellies, the decor/layout of the tank will need a major overhaul anyway. So I'd rip it apart and start fresh, more easily setting up the proper habitat for this very different species. Why worry needlessly?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    You're assuming that just because the new fish brought ich into the tank that they didn't bring anything else with them. I'm suggesting that, due to the lack of any visible signs of ich in most of the deceased, the OP should consider the possibility that something else in addition to the ich parasite was brought into the tank. With other running tanks that have established media on hand to instantly cycle any new projects, ignoring this possibility in order to simply retain a cycle and restock a tank of death is reckless and unnecessary. Unless the OP or father has some sentimental attachment to how the tank is currently set up, why not just use this bad turn of events to clean up the tank and start fresh?
    Ich does not have to appear on the fish is what I am suggesting. Other fish have already shown an ich infestation. Multiple time in the past, I have found dead fish that showed no signs of ich during an ich infestation started by new fish, who actually did not show any signs of ich either. I have never sterilized an aquarium afterwards, and just proceeded to treat the tank for ich (vacuum, heat, salt) or leave it dry for a week.

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...ll-article.htm

If the infection is restricted to the gills, however, no white spots will be seen....The parasitic trophont lives completely within the host fish, causing tissue damage and leading to the host’s death.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    It could be just Ich that took out the fish, especially if Ich wasn't treated for (not sure here). I would use the fishless cycle for ich in a planted display tank, but in this case where the scape will be changed out anyway for Shellies, if this tank was my own, I'd tear it down, disinfect, and re-cycle with beneficial bacteria from a safe existing tank.

My own experience: After receiving a demon shipment of Kerri tetras, I've learned that one shipment of new fish can bring in almost every fish ailment possible. I've spent more money in meds than I ever have before, the problems never stop, always a new thing to worry about. I wouldn't want to worry about the new Shellies from a breeder contracting something from the previous stock.

I sell fish on occasion, and take great care not to infect my fish with anything with prolonged QT and seperation. I wouldn't want someone to put my fish in a tank where all the fish died at once. I believe Shellies like sand, which is pretty inexpensive, but if you have gravel in the tank already, it can be disinfected with peroxide or bleach and left to dry to use somewhere else.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 11-28-2017 at 07:29 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat