· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Ok he totally broke down the tank and bleached everything. It’s drying now and we will fill it tonight when I go over after work. I’ll have him run it with just declirobated water for a day then empty all the water again then fill it and add new Cichlid substrate. The breeder I’m getting the Shellie’s from is giving me the sponge filter from the tank he has them in to re establish mine so that should be minimal amount of stress I can manage. Thank you for convincing me to totally sterilize it. This way I know it’s a clean slate. This whole thing also has gotten me to set up a qt tank. I have an extra sponge filter running in my main tank so if I need it it’s ready.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh and some of the fish showed no signs of ick when they died. I couldn’t see anything wrong with the rasbora less than 12 hours prior to it passing other than it was not very active. Is there a good book or site I could read to learn how to diagnose and treat different ailments? And on another note one of my tanks the ph keeps rising and by the time I notice my make GBR gets 2 little ick spots. If I add 1/8th tsp of acid buffer dissolved in a quart of water he colors up and the 2 white spots go away. I ordered some sera peat pellets so hopefully that will keep it stable and down around 6.5

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Idk a good book for fish diseases, but I really don't think you are seeing ich spots on your GBR. GBRs absolutely do better in more acidic water, but acidic water won't do anything to help rid ich. It's most likely something else on your GBR. This is in your own tank, in the same house? Did you share anything from your father's tank? How long have you had your male GBR?

Also, it's best to find the reason why the pH keeps rising, rather than using chemicals to bring it down. In fact, I've never had success using chemicals to change water params. You really have to alter the kh to alter pH, or else the pH will return to where the kh is buffering. A kh over 4 degrees will keep your pH pretty stable and difficult to soften.

Perhaps opening up a new thread for your tank might provide more helpful advice, but if you don't, I suggest you take a look at your kh. Post the results if you already have a test.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 11-28-2017 at 08:40 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    If your kh is lower than 4, and still rises, take a look at any rocks in your tank. Some rocks dissolve calcium and magnesium into the water and raise the pH. What do you use for substrate in your GBR tank?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have all of the shells you'll need for this tank?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I ordered him 36 escargot shells off amazon. The GBR is in a 20 Long with eco complete. There are 2 I’d say 8 inch by 3 by Malayan drift wood a white oak pleco palace and 2 medium sized petrified wood. All were booked for a minimum of 15 most over an hour. I don’t recall the kh on that tank I’ll have my gf test it befor she goes to work. It is not at the same house as my fathers tank that died off. The only thing shared is a laser thermometer. I have had the rams for a month or 2. The female is stuffed with eggs right now so that’s a good sign. I just figured it was a couple stress ick spots that clear up when he is feeling less stressed. I also had a juvenile super red bn pleco die yesterday. His stomach had stuff in it but it could have been poop for all I know. I lost 2 smaller albino bushy nose 2 weeks ago. The super red lasted 7 days. My otos and pigmy Corey’s are doing great I haven’t lost any. Just not sure why I can’t keep small plecos alive. I give them zucchini every other day and make sure there are spirilla based pellets on the bottom so they always have food. Not sure what else to do

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I think you should open up a new thread for your own tank with the GBRs. If these were new plecos, some fish just die, but 3 plecos in two weeks.....I'd want to make sure all is well with your tank and it will get better attention in the sickness section with it's own thread. I could try to help you, but you'd get more help that way from more experienced aquarists.

Myself, I only have experience with BN plecos born in my tanks. The first two I got from a friend, the little plecos grew into a pair and there I go. IME it's hard to kill a healthy pleco. I suspect the plecos might have brought something with them, cuz it sounds like you were caring for them well.

I also don't notice anything in your tank that could raise the pH, so copy and paste the last post with a title for your thread and post the kh if you can. Good luck!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    ^ wise suggestions
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the help I have a thread for the GBR in the dwarf Cichlid area from the first time they spawned right when I got them. I just updated it and I’ll keep trying to figure out the pleco thing