· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

Default Biotope: Pterophyllum altum ( Altum angel)

0 Not allowed!
    Look at the color of this water! Now that is tea-stained! To replicate it in the aquarium would make the fish extremely happy but would mean low visibility for me.

I added some oak leaves to the geophagus tank, but didn't stain the water in the slightest, so will be attempting to add more steadily so that when I get the altums in the next few weeks will have some tannins in water.

I remember years ago I used blackwater extract, forget who makes it, maybe that would be a good thing to add as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=2DxqKzWfFfE

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Great vid to watch! I think it might be because the water is murky/cloudy as well as tea-stained. I have a tea-stained dark tank, it doesn't make for great pics without brightening a bit, but in person, the fish look great and they love the tannins. I think with angels, the tannins and murk reduce the visibility over longer distances and prevents territorial disputes.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Yeah, there is a lot of suspended material in the water as well in the video.
    I also need to consider that I have lots of plants in this tank, if the stain is too much Im sure the light to the plants will be diminished.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, it is diminished, but hardly with a subtle stain. I keep low light plants only in my tannin-stained dark tank, but then you'd just have to increase the lighting if your plants require more. I haven't seen an issue with stained water and plant growth myself. But I keep it simple.

Honestly, I use IALs which really stain the water (more than oak leaves) and you'd have to toss in 20 or more leaves to make a statement in your 180g. The angels will appreciate just a bit of tannins, you don't have to go insane, that would be just for your preference. For instance, I wanted to try something different in my one tank, my fish all appreciate the tannins in the water, even when they are hardly noticeable. The slightest tint really does help bring out their colors.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 11-22-2017 at 08:21 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What is IAL's?

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Indian Almond leaves ;-)
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discusluv View Post
    Look at the color of this water! Now that is tea-stained! To replicate it in the aquarium would make the fish extremely happy but would mean low visibility for me.

I added some oak leaves to the geophagus tank, but didn't stain the water in the slightest, so will be attempting to add more steadily so that when I get the altums in the next few weeks will have some tannins in water.

I remember years ago I used blackwater extract, forget who makes it, maybe that would be a good thing to add as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=2DxqKzWfFfE
    Tetra was the brand I'll bet your thinking of, Kent and Brightwell aquatics have similar products that might be better, just to name a couple ;-)
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    I got my IALs off Amazon. ~120 leaves for 25$. Yes, I know oak leaves are free, but IALs are said to added benefits like antibacterial properties. I always have a couple in each of my tanks, mostly just for the medicinal benefits. In my"Blackwater" tank, I threw I some maple leaves as well becauseI like the leaf litter look, but IALs degrade much faster than other leaves. They add stronger tannins for sure.

http://www.aquariadise.com
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   great job on figuring out your photos - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    I love blackwater so much! A lot of people don't like it but its the most natural looking.
    My Aquarium Journals:

LiveBearer Aquascape

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waylon101 View Post
    I love blackwater so much! A lot of people don't like it but its the most natural looking.
    I think the fad is growing quickly, I see more and more blackwater setups popping up all over. I don't feel you have to go that dark for the leaves to have a positive effect on softwater fish behavior. The slight tint really looks amazing if one doesn't want an actual blackwater tank.

I use extra leaves if one of my fish suffer an injury, and they've all healed no problem without added chemicals or meds. I believe in IALs!
    -Kat